We are seeking a Trades Manager to oversee the General Maintenance and Custodial activities of the Sheriff's Office, Jail and Flagstaff Police Department.
Under general direction performs work of considerable difficulty in planning and administering of assigned functions; performs related work as assigned.
Essential functions of this position include: driving; reaching to work on equipment, working around others; vision acuity (near) for close detail to work; color vision for equipment wiring, warning lights, and light indicators; hearing to listen to equipment operation; speech for communicating verbally for directions and explanations; finger dexterity for tool use, computer use, and filling out forms. Environmental factors include: working inside 70% of the time; exposure to noise; working with mechanical equipment; chemicals; mechanical and electrical hazards working with heaters, boilers, A/C units, tools and pumps; burn hazards associated with electricity, gas heat and sun.
- Manages the general and preventive maintenance program for 7 buildings operated by the Sheriff's Office
- Manages the facilities and custodial operations budgets for the Sheriff's Office
- Hires, supervises, evaluates and disciplines staff
- Advises the Sheriff's Office and Jail command staff on facilities and custodial issues
- Manages numerous outside contracts and contractors for recurring maintenance, life-safety and fire responsibilities
- Performs System Administrator duties for Sheriff's Office Energy Management System
- Develops and implements policies and procedures
- Oversees personnel training and safety programs
- Plans, directs, and coordinates assigned projects
- Ensures compliance with laws, regulations, and policies governing functional area
- May make presentations to Board of Supervisors
- Prepares and maintains records and reports
Five years of progressively responsible experience in functional area, including two years of supervisory experience and appropriate licensure, OR any combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. Must obtain an Arizona driver's license by date of hire and maintain it throughout employment. Final job offer will be contingent upon a satisfactory 5-year Arizona Motor Vehicle Report. Must be able to pass a background check, polygraph, and have a clean driving record.
This position is exempt from overtime.
The ideal candidate is responsible for oversight and management of all maintenance and custodial programs and systems for the Sheriff's Office/Police Department Facility and Detention Facility.
Preferences: Law enforcement experience; Certified Facilities Manager; OSHA experience; safety experience; strong computer skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of:
- Methods, materials, tools, and techniques used in functional area
- Principles and practices of positive supervision
- Laws, regulations, and policies governing hiring, supervision, and discipline of County employees
- Occupational safety practices and procedures
- County budgetary policies and procedures
- Ability to:
- Work varying shifts, weekends, and holidays
- Plan, direct, and review the work of others
- Respond to emergencies on a 24-hour basis
- Effectively handle lifting of various objects weighing up to 60 pounds
- Work extended hours out of doors in a variety of weather conditions
- Prepare and maintain records and reports
- Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public
- Follow written and verbal instructions, including manufacturers' service specifications
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Coconino County, AZ - 2 years ago