Requisition ID: 61389
- Organization: BSII
- Location: Los Alamos, NM
- Closing Date: 6/27/13
DO NOT APPLY HERE - GO TO http://www.lanl.gov/careers/career-options/jobs/index.php AND APPLY TO JOB IRC15230
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is primarily responsible for monitoring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile and conducting research into new defense programs. It is a center for research in a wide range of scientific disciplines, including space exploration, geophysics, renewable energy, supercomputing, medicine, and nanotechnology.
XCP Division develops multiphysics simulation codes to support national nuclear security applications--particularly the assessment of the safety, security, and effectiveness of the stockpile and emerging threats. The division's focus is in computational physics, developing validated codes, models, and algorithms through research in the division and integration of the broader Laboratory's work in theory, modeling, and experiment. The X-Computational Physics Division (XCP) is seeking to hire scientists and software developers with a variety of levels of experience.
- Apply and interpret scientific principles, techniques, methods and tools to provide solutions for a wide assortment of complex problems Contributes to the design, testing, analysis, verification, and validation of scientific solutions in support of R&D initiatives.
- Develop technical approach, using creativity in applying standard practices and procedures, and lead technical decisions, including the selection of technical alternatives for assigned work.
- Develop new methods, techniques or approaches to address critical technical problems. Develop new technical capabilities.
- Develop technical products such as journal papers and reports. Contributes to the development of intellectual property leading to publications, copyrights, and/or patents.
- Contribute to the completion of milestones on multiple projects and to the achievement of programmatic objectives.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- The successful candidate will have professional experience in one or more areas of focus in the division: software infrastructure and code development; Lagrangian and Eulerian hydrodynamics; transport and nuclear burn; materials and high explosive model development and code integration; nuclear, atomic, and equation of state databases and computational packages; plasma physics and thermonuclear burn; validation and verification.
- Demonstrated technical expertise as evidenced by accomplishments in code and/or model development and talks delivered to peers on work accomplished.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills including clearly communicating technical information and building relationships with collaborators and users.
- A demonstrated ability to express ideas clearly in oral and written presentations.
- BS, MS or PhD in nuclear engineering, physics, engineering or applied mathematics required. PhD preferred.
- Professional-level knowledge of priorities and critical issues related to XCP/XTD Divisions and/or the Weapons program
Notes to Applicants: Physical Job Requirements: working alone, working overtime or irregular schedule, domestic/foreign travel.
Clearance: Q (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements* for access to classified matter.
- Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a pre-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Regular position: Term status Laboratory employees applying for regular-status positions are converted to a regular status only with approval of the cognizant Principal Associate Director.
Equal Opportunity: Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. We welcome and encourage applications from the broadest possible range of qualified candidates. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-5627.
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, procurement, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right- no matter how big, how complex or how remote. The reliability of our performance, the enduring quality of our projects, the strength of our ethics, and the seriousness of our commitment to safety and sustainability are evident in everything we do. Bechtel delivers for its customers what others can only promise.
Build your career as you build some of the most challenging and complex projects in the world today.
Bechtel is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer (AA/EOE).
Bechtel - 18 months ago
Bechtel (www.bechtel.com) is a global engineering, construction and project management company with more than a century of experience on...