The appliance engineer will embrace, adapt, and extend Proofpoint's on-premise platform to deliver resilient, scalable, and dynamic on-demand application access for enterprises worldwide (through private or public clouds). Our ideal candidate will possess a deep understanding of the Linux ecosystem, have solid scripting/programming skills, and a strong understanding of how all the pieces of a Linux distribution fit together.
- Participating in requirements analysis, architectural discussions, code reviews, and change control discussions for future appliance generations
- Evolving the interface between the application and the appliance platform to include virtualization
- Developing strategies and tools to manage the application and platform in a cloud environment
- 3+ years experience of enterprise-level UNIX system engineering with significant and recent experience on Linux platforms, especially RedHat/CentOS, including package management (installation & building RPMs) and previous experience modifying and rebuilding the Linux kernel (e.g., adding support for new hardware to kickstart boot disks)
- Solid scripting skills in an administrative language like Perl, any shell, or C programming
- Technical familiarity with networking protocols like HTTP, SSL and SMTP
- Understanding of server hardware components, such as RAID, remote console
- Understanding of distributed systems architecture, including multithreading & concurrency issues
- Good understanding of virtual infrastructure (e.g., VMware, Xen, KVM)
- Bonus points for knowledge of IPv6
- Bachelors CS/Computer Engineering/related field, or equivalent experience
Proofpoint is a pioneering security-as-a-service provider that focuses on cloud-based solutions for threat protection, compliance, archiving...