Under general direction, responsible for independently performing and reporting all test analyses according to physician orders in accordance with laboratory policies and procedures, FDA, CAP, AABB, OSHA, CLIA and JCAHO regulations to facilitate optimum quality patient care.
1. Performs all laboratory tests accurately and in a timely fashion following established guidelines and physician orders. Reports all tests in a timely, efficient, and accurate manner in compliance with documented laboratory procedures.
2. Maintains QA policies and procedures to ensure validity of results. Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results and takes appropriate action according to predetermined protocols. Performs quality control for all testing and meets established ranges before patient results are released.
3. Determines acceptability of specimens by performing visual inspections or by recognizing abnormal/ unusual results. Documents unacceptable specimens according to appropriate policy. Communicates specimen requirements to appropriate personnel.
4. Informs appropriate personnel of department supply needs ensuring uninterrupted service.
5. Maintains clinical competency and current professional knowledge by reading relevant journal articles and attending training sessions.
6. Maintains a safe and efficient working environment by performing equipment maintenance and checks, cleaning work area, and monitoring temperatures in accordance with regulatory agencies and hospital policies. Recognizes and troubleshoots malfunctions of advanced technological equipment and initiates corrective action.
7. Supervises phlebotomist functions in areas of urinalysis and blood gases.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree required. Entry level positions do not require experience; however, experience in a clinical lab setting is preferred.
Licensure: ASCP or equivalent certification as a Medical Technologist is required within one year of employment.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills: Good knowledge in all areas of the laboratory and familiarity with applicable clinical laboratory equipment. Must possess comprehensive knowledge of at least one specialty such as Hematology or Chemistry or have considerable knowledge in many sections of the laboratory. Must possess a high degree of precision and accuracy. Good written and oral English communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills; good knowledge of computers (word processing, spread sheet, linearity) preferred. Strong critical thinking abilities. Requires ability to use office equipment, such as computer terminals for data entry.
Saint Alphonsus Medical Center - Nampa - 2 years ago