Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico, in southeast Albuquerque, is nestled between the Sandia and Manzano mountain ranges. It is home to Air Force Materiel Command's Nuclear Weapons Center and its subordinate wings. It is also home to the Directed Energy and Space Vehicle Directorates of the Air Force Research Laboratory.
THIS IS A 90 DAY STANDING REGISTER
90 Day Register: This announcement will result in a 90 day register (list of eligible candidates) that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 days after the closing date. Applicants may be referred for consideration as vacancies occur.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN DESIGNATED FOR DRUG TESTING. IF YOU ARE SELECTED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO URINALYSIS TESTING PRIOR TO APPOINTMENT AND YOU WILL BE SUBJECT TO RANDOM URINALYSIS TESTING AS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT.
WHO MAY APPLY:
for more information. You MUST have one or more identified eligibilities in order to be considered. **Air Force is not responsible for erroneous eligibilities you list or fail to list**
Air Force Employee (Current, Permanent, Career/Career-Conditional Employee)
DoD Transfer (Army, Navy, DFAS, etc.--Excluding Air Force)
Military Spouse of an Active Duty Military Member Registered in the DoD Priority Placement Program
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP):
View Assessment Questions
for additional required documents
30% Disabled Veterans
Employment of People with Disabilities
Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA)
Non-DoD Transfer (OPM, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.)
Appointment of Certain Military Spouse (EO 13473)
Federal Time-In-Grade (TIG) Requirement for General Schedule (GS) Positions:
Current/prior federal civilian applicants must have served at least 52 weeks at the next lower grade, or higher grade (or equivalent in an alternate pay system) within the Federal Civil Service to be considered for referral.
FOR THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT THESE DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED AND MUST BE RECEIVED PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT (BY 11:59PM EASTERN TIME):
1. Résumé, for each block of work experience you must include mo/year (starting/ending dates), salary, hours per week, job title, supervisors name/phone number (may we contact statement).
2. Responses to the on-line Occupational Questionnaire.
3. If applying under
eligibility, all supporting documents must be provided at time of application. Please refer to the ICTAP portion of the 'Benefits & Other Info' section of this
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Travel and relocation expenses may be paid
- Recruitment Incentive will be paid
- Relocation Incentive will be paid
- This is a key Position in the Medical Career Field
Back to top
As a Health Physicist, GS-1306-13, you will serve as the senior health physicist with oversight of radiological safety and control functions for all DoD functions on Kirtland Air Force Base (KAFB), NM. You will also:
-Serve as the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) for KAFB overseeing a comprehensive radiation safety program in support of hundreds of individuals using radioactive materials and sources under multiple Air Force Radioactive Material Permits and Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) license.
-Evaluate and secure compliance with environmental and radiation safety laws through audits, investigations and enforcement of corrective action activities.
-Responsible for executing assigned program elements as the team leader for the radiation protection element.
Back to top
A degree in natural science or engineering that included at least 30 semester hours in health physics, engineering, radiological science, chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, and/or calculus
combination of education and experiencecourses as shown in above, plus appropriate experience or other education; or certification as a health physicist by the American Board of Health Physics, plus appropriate experience and other education that provided an understanding of sciences applicable to health physics.
Subsequent to meeting the basic requirements you must have one year of specialized experience at a level close to the work of this position that has given you the particular knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform.
Typically, we would find this experience in work within this field that is closely related.
To be creditable, the specialized experience must have been equivalent to the next lower grade level
, pay band or equivalent.
is described as knowledge of radiation safety principles, laws, regulations and precedent decisions.
Must be able to administer radiation safety efforts and recommend substantive program changes or alternative new courses of action requiring the extension and modification of existing management techniques.
Only experience obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Professional knowledge of health and radiation safety principles, laws, regulations and precedent decisions which provide the capability to recommend substantive program changes or alternative
courses of managerial action requiring the expansion or modification of existing radiation safety health management techniques critical to be resolution of radiation safety management problems.
2. Knowledge and understanding of professional level concepts, principles, theories, and current practices that enable incumbent to serve as technical authority on the most complex environmental projects and programs within the radiation safety and health physics area of expertise.
3. Knowledge and skills necessary to meet the requirements of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission definition of a Radiation Safety Officer for a Broadscope License.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE
Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid work on the same basis as for paid experience. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. To receive credit for such experience you must indicate clearly the nature of the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the number of hours per week spent in such employment.
Back to top
This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered to Federal employees.
1. May be required, at the convenience of the Government, to perform temporary duty travel by either Government or commercial air transportation, and to utilize Government furnished quarters and messes at temporary duty station when available.
2. The work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle.
An appropriate, valid drivers license may be required.
3. Is required to serve as a member of the Emergency Response Force during exercises or in the event of an actual emergency.
4. Special Condition of Employment: Employee may be required to work any shift or irregular schedule, including Saturday, Sunday, and holiday work.
5. Will be required to participate in training and obtain job-related certifications such as DOT or HAZWOPER.
6. Must be able to qualify as a Radiation Safety Officer on a Broadscope License.
7. Must obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance.
8. Certification as a Certified Health Physicist by the American Academy of Health Physics is desirable.
9. This position is Exempt under 5 CFR 551.208 of the FLSA Professional Exemption Criteria (Learned Professional).
10. This position is ineligible for bargaining member status (2539) and will be coded (8888) under (5 USC 7112(b) (6)).
SECURITY CLEARANCE: INCUMBENT MUST BE ABLE TO OBTAIN AND MAINTAIN A TOP SECRET (SCI) SECURITY CLEARANCE AS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT.
Work requires considerable and strenuous physical exertion and exposure to extreme conditions, such as; lifting heavy objects that weight more than 50 pounds, and chemical/biological/physical/radiological hazards for which protective precaution may be required.
The employee is regularly exposed to moderate to severe risks or discomforts, which require special safety precautions.
Must use protective clothing and gear such as respirators, goggles, and shields and is subject to ongoing monitoring for exposure to radioactive materials.
If you are deaf or Hard of Hearing and need assistance via TDD/TTY, please contact Andrea Rathbun at (801) 586-1819.
Special Employment Consideration:
Individuals with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the U.S. Air Force mission. For further information or to determine your eligibility click here:
Special Hiring Authorities
) Applicants who are selected must meet the qualification requirements and be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. If you are eligible and wish to be considered for non-competitive appointment, please indicate "5CFR 213.3102(u)" on your resume or state you are an individual with a disability eligible for a Schedule A appointment and follow all other instructions for applying.
Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. For more information on this policy please go to:
Appointing Authority allows agencies to appoint a military spouse without competition for a maximum of 2 years from the date on the documents required to prove eligibility. Additional information regarding this authority can be obtained at:
Individuals who have special priority selection rights under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) must be rated as well qualified (80), without veterans' preference points, based on the answers provided to the questions contained in the Assessment Questionnaire and supporting application material, for the position to receive consideration for special priority selection. Well qualified candidates are also required to meet any job-related personal, suitability, and/or medical requirements established for this position. In addition to submitting documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record, which must be at least fully successful or the equivalent, ICTAP eligibles must submit one of the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority: a separation notice; a "Notice of Personnel Action" (SF-50) documenting separation; an agency certification that you cannot be placed after "injury" compensation has been terminated; an OPM notification that your disability annuity has been terminated; OR a Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that you are retired under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456. For more information, click here:
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see
To determine if you are qualified for this position, your resume will be reviewed and compared to your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility, qualifications, and/or rating.
HOW TO APPLY:
Back to top
The following documents are required and must be provided by the closing date of the announcement:
*Online Application (Questionnaire)
- If you submit a resume with inappropriate material e.g. photos, you will not be considered for this vacancy. For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). Resumes that do not contain this information will be marked as insufficient and applicants may not receive consideration for this position.
*If applying under ICTAP eligibility, all supporting documents must be provided at time of application. Please refer to the ICTAP portion of the 'Benefits & Other Info' section of this announcement.
To begin the process, click the
button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the
Submit My Answers
button at the end of the process.
To fax documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page
using the following Vacancy ID 872806. Fax your documents to
If you cannot apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire
View Occupational Questionnaire
2. Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to
. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
In Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire, you
that the numbering restarts with number one. When entering your responses on the 1203-FX form please continue to enter your responses on the next available number within this section. The numbers on the 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire once it restarts with number one. This issue has been identified and will be resolved as soon as possible.
If selected, you will be required to submit the following documents to substantiate your eligibility and/or qualifications within 2 business days. A list of required documents for each eligibility may be located
Eligibility Documentation, SF50, DD214, Proof of Disability, Certification of Job Readiness, etc.
COMPLETE APPLICATIONS, INCLUDING ALL ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION, MUST BE RECEIVED BY 11:59PM EASTERN TIME ON THE CLOSING DATE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT,
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
· Transcripts, if qualifying based on education or positive education series
Individuals with Disabilities - Eligibility for appointment under this authority consists of two parts. Click
for more information
Any questions concerning this announcement may be addressed to Gary Yancey (801)777-5929 GARY.YANCEY@HILL.AF.MIL. The subject line of your email must indicate the announcement number only (i.e., 8Y-HILL-872806-747503-GLY). Email inquiries are to address specific questions concerning this announcement.
General inquiries unrelated to a specific announcement will not receive a response
. Responses to inquiries will generally be returned within 2 business days.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
6053 Elm Ln Bldg 1245 Rm 2
Department of the Air Force - 8 months ago
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force...