Clean Harbors is North America’s leading provider of environmental, energy and industrial services serving over 50,000 customers, including a majority Fortune 500 companies, thousands of smaller private entities and numerous federal, state, provincial and local governmental agencies.
Headquartered in Norwell, Massachusetts, Clean Harbors has more than 175 locations, including over 50 waste management facilities, throughout North America in 37 U.S. states, seven Canadian provinces, Mexico and Puerto Rico. The Company also operates international locations in Bulgaria, China, Sweden, Singapore, Thailand and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit www.cleanharbors.com .
We offer competitive salaries and progressive benefits including health, dental, life insurance, 401K, Employee Stock Program, generous paid time off, tuition reimbursement and more. We offer a drug free work environment and require a pre-employment drug screen. All Applicants are subject to pre-employment security background checks, and some positions may require pre-employment physical fitness for duty tests
SUMMARY PARAGRAPH OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The Environmental Technician I is responsible for the performance of tasks associated with hazardous waste clean-up, site-remediation, equipment decontamination and handling of hazardous materials. At times, must be able to work with little or no supervision.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Ensures Health and Safety is the number one goal by following policies, processes, and acting in a safe manner at all times.
- Engage in strenuous physical labor including lifting, pulling and pulling heavy objects.
- Operates light and heavy equipment including, but not limited to: pumps, vacuum equipment, oil spill boom, generators, bobcats, etc.
- Performs emergency response activities including, but not limited to chemical and water spills, etiological and biological contamination, tank cleaning, equipment decontamination, etc.
- Responsible for quick and immediate response when on call, secure coverage for shift and communicate your replacement's name to the coordinator.
- Handles various hand tools and powered (pneumatic and electrical, hydraulic) industrial tools, including pressure washers and saws.
- Works with vibration-producing tools including jack hammers, rivet-busters, air-chisels, nibblers and etc.
- Ensures proper use of equipment and immediately notify supervisor of any mechanical failure or problem of equipment.
- Adheres to and ensures constant compliance with Health & Safety Compliance and regulations.
- The ability to wear and properly use a variety of Levels A, B, C & D personal protective Equipment (PPE). This includes respirators, skin, face, hand and foot protection in a multiple number of combinations.
- Works in various temperatures indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions: including extreme heat and cold while wearing various levels of personal protective equipment.
- Works in atmospheres and locations with the potential for exposure to various chemical and physical agents, some of which may be hazardous, toxic or corrosive.
- Works in potentially elevated noise levels, confined spaces, including lifting in areas of low clearance. Working at elevations including working from ladders and scaffolding.
- Assists in field sampling activities and calibration of meters.
- Climbs ladders, scaffolding and into and out of trucks, tanks, and various other containers.
- Works extended ( > 8 hrs.) time periods. Note that in emergency response situations these periods can extend beyond 8 hours, up to 12-24 hrs.; Because of the emergency response and operational nature of the position, a continuing condition of employment is that the applicant/candidate acknowledges and agrees to be on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and on occasion will require work during week-ends and holidays.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned from time to time by management and will be required by the needs of the Clean Harbors business.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and complexity of the work being performed by personnel assigned to this classification, and do not represent an exhaustive list of all tasks, duties, and responsibilities required of personnel assigned to this position. It does not prescribe or restrict the work that may be assigned.
High School diploma or equivalency. 2 or 4 year degree in Environmental Studies (preferred).
- Complete confined space entry (CSE) training.
- 40 Hour OSHA Training.
- No serious moving violations in past 3 years, i.e., Reckless driving, Driving to endanger, Open alcohol containers, etc.
- *Clean Driving record, for the purposes of CHESI, includes: No more than 2 moving violations in the past 3 years; No DUI/DWI in past 3 years; No preventable accidents in the past year; No more than 2 preventable accidents in the last 3 years.
- Valid drivers license required as a continuing condition of employment.
- PC skills.
- Knowledge of RCRA requirements/regulations.
- Knowledge of Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) waste codes, manifesting and Land Disposal Restrictions (LDR) (preferred).
- Knowledge of chemicals.
- Able to travel, work weekends, will wear a pager.
- Attention to detail.
- Able to take and comply with directions.
- Able to perform multiple tasks.
Requires the ability to properly wear and use personal respirator equipment and other forms of personal protective equipment (PPE) including levels A,B,C,D & E, including full encapsulation PPE suits which can elevate body temperature substantially during strenuous exertion.
- Clean driving record*
- Position involves strenuous physical exertion.
- Available for 24/day on-call basis.
- Requires standing, lifting up to 50lbs.
- Requires pulling/pushing, carrying, grasping, reaching, crawling, stooping and crouching in confined spaces; Requires walking, climbing, speaking, listening, color determination and clarity of vision at 2 feet or more (with or without lenses); Requires sitting.
Clean Harbors is North America’s leading and most trusted provider of energy/industrial, environmental and hazardous waste management...