Serves as administrator of Human Resources Information System (HRIS) software program, including sound building of tables and logic models within the system. Develops and designs reports. Also processes payroll changes and employee status changes. Responsible for completion of internal and external compensation and benefit surveys and recommends market adjustments, prepares annual pay plan and salary portion of the citywide budget. Prepares correspondence, records, and reports.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Processes payroll changes in accordance with the provisions of the city’s personnel policies and procedures, approved pay plan, and contractual agreements. Inputs new employee information; updates employee salary, attendance, review dates, and status using HRIS software to reflect changes to both the HR records and Finance Department’s payroll records.
• Exports data into Excel and builds spreadsheets using correct formulas, notes, and links between tables and worksheets to insure accurate total compensation budgets for all organization positions. Recommends market adjustments to salary ranges, prepares annual pay plan and salary portion of the citywide budget.
• Designs customized reports using expert level formulas, calculations, and tables from HRIS system in Crystal Reports. Insures all technological processes between insurance carriers and various HR databases are functioning correctly, troubleshoots and problem solves system problems.
• Updates and maintains payroll, benefit, and salary tables to insure the ABRA system correctly calculates deductions.
• Determines employee eligibility and assigns attendance plans to new employees. Changes attendance plans and calculates accrued time for employees completing probationary employment.
• Compiles information and completes salary and benefit survey data, as assigned. Retrieves employee pay and benefit information from appropriate databases, checks position-matching information, and provides requested information. May take lead in the development of salary and grade level recommendations.
• Administers changes to employee leave accruals that may be due to sick leave buyout program, employee of the month, sick leave donations, sick leave conversions, vacation carry-over exceptions, or leave of absence.
• Manages the performance evaluation process. Produces reports and communicates with Department Heads. Ensures all performance reviewed are conducted in a timely manner and escalates concerns to Director as needed.
• Prepares employee performance evaluation report to Department Directors according to an established schedule using HR database and report writer functions of the HRIS system.
• Reviews and audits end of year attendance balances. Works with the Finance Dept., Payroll Technician to close the end-of-year attendance module. Monitors carry-over hours, if employees have received approval for additional carry-over hours and make manual adjustments to balance.
• Monitors sick leave reports for correct accruals, leave time calculations Researches, and provides answers to employees with questions regarding leave benefits.
• Reviews and audits incoming changes to full and part-time employee salaries and/or status due to hiring, merit, end of probationary status, promotions, benefit and leave accruals, special payroll situations (i.e., police uniforms and holiday pay for police and fire personnel), and performance reviews to ensure equitable administration and that guidelines set in the personnel policies are followed and addresses inconsistencies
• May provide training on systems to team members or employees on systems related to
performance evaluations, HRIS systems, and compensation.
• Maintains a solid knowledge of the personnel policies and procedures, benefit information to respond to questions from employees, supervisors and Department Directors, and participates in internal supervisory training.
• Plans and arranges work schedule and establishes work priorities to complete scheduled and assigned work within the parameters assigned by the supervisor.
• Observes and follows established City policies and procedures in the daily conduct of the job.
• May provide safety and loss control administration.
• Assists in the maintenance of employee personnel files and general files; and maintains files in accordance with the provisions of the city's personnel policies and procedures and applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
• Performs other duties as assigned
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS/SUPERVISORY DUTIES
This Position Reports to: Human Resource Director
This Position has Supervisory Responsibility for: None
Education, Formal Training & Experience:
• Prefer a four year college degree with emphasis in database administration &/or design, human resource information systems, or related field(s); and,
• Requires two years related work experience which includes some combination of; payroll processing; data processing including designing and preparing reports; human resource information systems experience; expert level MS Excel, uploads/downloads between outside vendor systems and employer systems, troubleshooting technology and system issues; and,
• Requires experience with Crystal Reports; and,
• Knowledge of human resource practices; and,
• Senior/Professional in Human Resources (PHR/SPHR) Certification helpful.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Requires solid knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of records management and research and the ability to apply that knowledge to perform the essential functions of the position.
• Requires solid knowledge of the principles and practices of computer data entry; solid knowledge of word processing software; solid knowledge of spreadsheet software; and expert knowledge of HRIS software (preferably ABRA) demonstrated through previous training, employment, or on-the-job performance and possesses the skill and ability to apply that knowledge to perform the essential functions of the position. Must have expert level for database table development and design, including multi-level fields.
• Requires solid knowledge of the principles and practices of bookkeeping, payroll preparation, or accounting and has the ability to apply that knowledge to perform essential job functions.
• Requires expert knowledge of City personnel policies and procedures; basic understanding of government regulations relating to the FLSA, FMLA, EEO and ADA; and the ability to apply that knowledge to perform the essential duties of the position.
• Requires excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills; the ability to effectively communicate and interact with individuals of varying social, cultural, economic, professional, and educational backgrounds, including the ability to effectively deal with individuals who may be physically threatening, angry, argumentative or disagreeable; the ability to act with tact, good judgment, and discretion; and the ability to maintain the confidentiality of files, personnel actions, and other matters, as appropriate.
• Requires expert knowledge in the use of MS Excel, including linking worksheets from different documents, notes, expert level formula and calculations, ability to create spreadsheets with appropriate design and set up.
• Requires the following physical abilities to perform essential job functions: frequent reaching, handling, lifting, carrying, stooping and kneeling to store and retrieve books and files weighing up to five pounds; occasional pushing and pulling files and file boxes weighing up to ten pounds for placement in storage; frequent fingering and feeling to operate office equipment and access books and files; constant ordinary hearing and speaking to establish and maintain verbal communications; constant seeing with near acuity, occasional seeing with far acuity, depth perception, accommodation and field of vision to see work products and people
• The following mental abilities are needed to perform the essential functions of this position: alertness, precision, ingenuity, problem-solving, analytic ability, spatial perception, persuasiveness, auditory discrimination, tactile discrimination, speaking, memory, creativity, concentration, judgment, aesthetic sense, writing ability, reasoning, imagination, initiative, patience, and visual discrimination.
• Skilled in multi-tasking and setting priorities