The Driller is responsible for monitoring well conditions and drilling parameters.
Additional responsibilities include delegating tasks to Derrickhand, Motorhand, and Floorhands based on drilling activities.
The Driller must be able to communicate with a variety of outside individuals including the Company Man and Directional Driller.
Key relevant tasks performed by a Driller include the following:
- Oversee all drilling activities and monitor hands that are working on rig floor
- Follow established plan for drilling operations
- Continually monitor well conditions and drilling parameters
- Provide leadership, along with the Rig Manager, to delegate tasks, instruct, train, and develop all hands
- Ensure regular maintenance of all equipment and machinery
- Assist Rig Manager with preventing and solving problems to keep the rig operational
- Communicate with Rig Manager, Company Man, and Directional Driller as necessary
- Responsible for well control
- General upkeep and housekeeping of the Driller’s cabin
- Maintain daily logs of drilling activities
- Supervise hands and assist with rig up / down procedures
- Support other crew members as needed, ensure compliance with safety procedures, and other additional tasks as assigned
To qualify for a Driller position, an individual must be willing and able to safely perform the following essential job functions
Education Requirements and Knowledge
- Stand or sit at the driller’s console for up to 12 hours with minimal ability to leave the driller’s cabin
- Occasionally climb steep stairs and walk on steel grating and decking, which may be slick.
Additionally, they will be walking on boards, gravel, dirt, mud, ice, and snow.
- Manually operate equipment at driller’s console, which consists of touchscreens, buttons, keyboard, joystick, and levers
- Clear vision to judge near and far distances to maintain awareness of, watch, and report ongoing work activities to coworkers and third parties
- Utilize proper hand signals when working from the cabin to communicate with others
- Accurate recall over short and long-term memory
- Maintain spatial orientation and awareness to operate drilling equipment, be aware of others’ location in relation to drilling activities, and safely move around work environment with many moving objects
- Stay continuously alert and focused up to12.5 hours while independently performing repetitive and routine activities and be able to remain calm and continue working in the event of a problem situation
- Make sound and quick decisions in a changing and hazardous environment
- Demonstrate clear communication skills and ability to promptly follow directions
- Take initiative and work independently during downtime
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all designated times
The Driller job requires a high school diploma, certificate or equivalent.
A Driller must be able to use a computer and multiple screens to monitor drilling activities.
This person must understand down hole operations and daily operations to be able to give instructions to hands.
The Driller must be able to use a calculator, standard formulas, and basic math for well control calculations.
Derrickhand, Motorhand, and Floorhand
This position requires the person to work outdoors for an entire tour work shift in all types of weather conditions, including precipitation, cold / heat, high wind, and turbulent conditions.
They will be exposed to the typical conditions of the local area where the rig is located.
The Driller must work with an emphasis on safety for themselves and others including coworkers and third parties.
They must be able to work closely with others as they will work together in the confined area of the drilling rig and may choose to live together in crew quarters.
They must be willing to work a hitch, which consists of 7 days on / 7 days off, or 14 days on / 14 days off, working 12.5 hour shifts that can include days or nights and as well as weekends and holidays
How To Apply
To apply, click the "apply now" button at the lower right hand corner of the screen and follow the directions
Amount of Travel
Work At Home
Patterson-UTI Drilling Company LLC
- 2 years ago - save job
Patterson-UTI Energy, Inc. is a provider of contract drilling business. It operates primarily in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas,...