With more than 30 years as an established institution, the International Academy of Design and Technology offers students a hands-on education with experienced faculty dedicated to providing students with the necessary skills, knowledge, support and guidance to pursue fulfilling career opportunities in the design and technology fields.
A Lead Instructor is responsible for teaching courses, administrative responsibilities, and guidance and/or supervision of faculty relative to instructional methods, course content and/or professional development. The Lead Instructor is the primary subject expert for the program. S/he is the face of the program to the student, prospective employers, and the local community.
Principal Duties & Responsibilites
Administrative responsibilities will vary among campuses based on specific campus needs. Examples of responsibilities include:
- Guide and maintain a course that is taught by several different instructors to ensure that there is consistency in course presentation and outcomes. Includes training instructors, testing and adapting new tools, coordinating revisions to course content, etc.
- Serve as a lead for an academic program for a specific track within a larger program. Responsible for developing and updating course content, selecting and ordering textbooks and assisting in arranging schedules of classes. Assign teaching staff to conduct classes, assist in recruiting faculty and provide direction to assigned faculty.
- Serve as a lead for an academic program for a new program that is being introduced. Responsible for developing course content; selecting and ordering textbooks, recruiting, hiring and orienting new instructors for the program(s), training faculty on delivering course content and monitoring the effectiveness of the new program(s).
Faculty guidance and supervision may include:
- Work with Instructors who are new to the school to orient them to our teaching methods, processes and policies.
- Observe Instructors to ensure their quality of instruction meets our objectives.
- Assist the program/department chair in recruiting, hiring, orienting and training new instructors.
- Assist the program/department chair in scheduling instructors to ensure appropriate student/instructor ratios and classroom utilization.
- Review and provide feedback on instructor performance. Conduct periodic performance reviews with each instructor.
- Assist with monitoring the grading system, testing procedures, lab/studio equipment, textbooks, class size, and student/staff morale.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities, Competencies
Communication, Assessment of Student Learning, Pedagogical Mastery, Course Subject Matter Expertise, Utilization of Technology, Teaching Diverse Learners, Student Engagement Protocol Adherence, Promotion of Active Student Learning, Operating within Educational System, and Demonstration of Scholarship.
- Demonstrates CEC Standards as defined for faculty members:
Education and Experience: Minimum
- Master's degree in appropriate academic degree/credentials based on the academic subject area/field of instruction and applicable accreditation requirements.
- 2 years industry experience /expertise and academic credentials based on profession and applicable accreditation requirements.
Education and Experience: Preferred
- Completion of a minimum of 18 graduate credits within assigned discipline(s).
- Minimum of two years of professional experience within the assigned discipline(s).
International Academy of Design & Technology - 19 months ago