The Systems Analyst V, UNIX Systems Administrator V (USA) is selected by, accountable to, and works under minimal supervision of the Manager of UNIX Administration (Manager). The USA is responsible for managing (or in the case of State Data Center Servers) reviewing the installation, configuration, and maintenance support of the operating systems, software and hardware for the Agency's UNIX based server systems. The USA is further responsible for the management and monitoring in support of the purchased software running on these servers. The USA may also manage staff members in the UNIX Administration Group as specified by the Manager.
• Plans, budgets, supervise, create, review, and maintain detailed documentation for software, hardware, staff, and vendors.
• Creates/reviews operational information and administration utilities.
• Develops/reviews implementation of Production Administrative Programming Scripts and applications using a variety
of programming languages.
• Establishes, reviews, and coordinates security and recovery plans.
• Conducts/reviews systems performance monitoring and assists in integrating the systems with agency's networks.
• Coordinates the performance of duties with staff & other sections within IR, vendors, and other Agency offices.
• Conducts training and/or gives expert advice on software and hardware, as needed.
• Evaluates software and hardware that may benefit the agency.
• Represents IR to outside agents, vendors, and other governmental agencies.
• Keeps current on the latest technological developments and their application to the agency's needs.
• Assists in supporting the ongoing maintenance of the DARS Computer facility.
• Performs other duties as assigned and required to maintain unit operations.
• Adheres to, supports and enforces Agency policies and procedures on privacy and confidentiality.
May be required to work hours outside of the normal business day and be on call for any emergency situations.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Acts as a primary contact for UNIX technical support and troubleshooting Agency software, hardware and system interoperability.
2. Assumes responsibilities for managing projects and staff that may be drawn from all areas of DARS, DCS, and HHSC. Assists in project management activities as specified by the Manager. The USA must also manage confidential information stored on DARS UNIX servers and in DARS Databases. Violations or misconduct in this area will not be tolerated.
3. Conducts UNIX system maintenance, monitoring, and management in order to improve performance, plan for future growth, and maintain security for the Agency's end user community.
4. Installs, configures, and reviews Agency UNIX software, hardware, and other equipment that is directly connected to the DARS Wide Area Network completely and correctly within the time period specified by the Manager. Reviews DCS implementations on systems under Data Center Services.
5. Keeps knowledge current on user, system software, hardware requirements, protocols and industry standards as they apply to the Agency's needs.
6. Maintains and relays required and requested management information to the Manager on a timely basis. By maintaining and submitting the necessary management information and system documentation, using appropriate tools, on UNIX/network or other systems software (i.e., Database, Transaction Manager) as well as document policies, procedures, and standard configurations for systems under the direct supervision of the USA.
7. Manages DARS UNIX/network and systems software (i.e., database, Transaction Manager, and Statistical Analysis), and/or staff in planning and implementation activities
8 Participates in or conducts cross-training activities, as directed by the Manager, to keep current on other areas of the DARS Network to be able to provide backup assistance and emergency replacement for other areas within Server Operations.
9. Supports ReHabWorks project to insure a succesful project
10 Supports DCS Data Center Consolidation project to insure to the best of their abilities the successful completion of that project
11 Assists DARS Facilities, HHSC Facilities, and TFC in maintaining the environment of the DARS Data Center.
12 Attends work on a regular and predictable schedule in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
a. Knowledge of the installation and operation of UNIX tools and applications
b. Knowledge of Local Area Network technologies, Terminal Emulation, and Secure File Transfer.
c. Knowledge of procedures on systems security, inventory, and database management.
d. Knowledge of process to develop customized desktop applications.
e. Skill in programming in UNIX Shell and Perl languages.
f. Skill in UNIX User/Role creation and modification using Standard UNIX tools.
g. Skill in establishing and maintaining a positive rapport and helpful, effective working relationship with all levels of Department management and staff, customers, vendors, and others when required or requested.
h. Skill in the operation and management of UNIX Operating Systems (specifically Solaris). And Microsoft Windows operating systems.
i. Skill in the operation of commercially-based microcomputer software including word processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail, business and presentation graphics, relational database development tools, telecommunications, project management, Internet/WEB Browser and CD/ROM use.
j. Skill in the application of corrective actions to problems in order to identify dimensions of a problem, determine potential cause/effect and specify alternative solutions.
k. Skill to analyze, plan, develop, coordinate and implement large automation projects involving highly technical functions and people with differing skills and abilities.
l. Skill in formulating grammatically sound documents, workable and usable policies, standards, procedures, analytical reports and recommendations.
m. Ability to read complex documentation, interpret it for others, and train less experienced staff.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Initial Selection Criteria:
College graduate from accredited College or University. Can substitute work experience in this field for Education.
3 years of UNIX server management experience (Solaris preferred).
PERL/Shell Programming experience.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the AccessHR service center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.