How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Job Summary
Full-Time/40 hrs/Day Shift/Some Weekends and Holidays
Administrative supervision is typically directly exercised over union and non-unionized positions, and other staff. Required Qualifications*
- Supervise and train support staff in a complex animal facility.
- Plan, assign, and review the work of staff.
- Train employees in new or revised work methods, procedures, and orient new employees.
- Evaluate and review the performance of assigned staff. Inspect animal care facilities to assure compliance with regulatory agency standards and operating procedures.
- Be knowledgeable on standard operating procedures.
- Confer with researchers regularly regarding day-to-day operations as well as special handling and treatment needs.
- Coordinate experimental requests between researchers and unit.
- Supervise and perform the maintenance of unit records.
- Supervise disposition of animals and the operation of breeding colonies.
- Maintain inventory of equipment, instruments, and supplies.
- Assure compliance with Affirmative Action and safety programs.
- Provide training to orient laboratory staff and maintenance mechanics to vivarium facilities.
- Associate's degree in Animal Health Technology or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum one year experience supervising in a related field
- Five years experience in a laboratory or other animal care related setting
- Strong skills in communication and conflict management
- Strong organizational skills to help with planning and opening of new vivarium facilities
- Proficient in the use and understanding of Word, Excel, and Microsoft Office applications Desired Qualifications*
- Bachelor's degree in Science or related field
- Successful completion of the ULAM temporary supervisor assignment
- Certification as a Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) or above by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
- Certified Manager of Animal Resources (CMAR) by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)