Works under general supervision with the responsibility of the general maintenance and repair of gasoline and diesel vehicles, motorcycles and equipment assigned to the Sheriff’s Office fleet.
EEOC CODE: 80
Minimum Qualifications 1. Five (5) years’ experience as an Automotive Mechanic;or
2. Three (3) years’ experience as an Automotive Mechanic with Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) or equivalent certification; and
3. Graduated from an accredited High School or possess GED.
4. Candidate holding a current Harley Davidson Motorcycle Repair Certification in addition to Automotive Repair Experience preferred.
5. (PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED) Special Requirements Duties and Responsibilities 1. Determines causes of malfunctioning vehicles, motorcycles and equipment based on information provided by the operator and through a thorough inspection and diagnosis.
2. Makes use of electric, hydraulic, pneumatic and hand tools and equipment to accomplish repairs and service of vehicles, motorcycles and equipment.
3. Performs routine maintenance such as changing fluids, filters, light bulbs, wipers, tires, exhaust and brake systems.
4. Performs more specific service such as exchanging or rebuilding engines or engine components, transmissions/transaxles, suspension and rear-end components.
5. Conducts repairs to compartment covers, doors, window units and minor body damage.
6. Uses jacks and vehicle lifts to perform repairs and service to undercarriage area of vehicles.
7. Inspects vehicles and equipment for safe operation prior to placing back in service.
8. Provides professional input and justification regarding the serviceability of vehicles and equipment to include the need to remove fleet items from inventory.
9. Maintains organization and cleanliness of the on-hand stock items, tool and equipment inventory and workspaces.
10. Conducts all operations and tasks in a safe manner.
11. Provides guidance to mechanics’ assistant.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities 1. Knowledge of routine and specialized maintenance and repair of all aspects of gasoline and diesel powered vehicles and equipment.
2. Knowledge of inventory control and accountability systems.
3. Skilled in selection and use of appropriate equipment used in performing maintenance and repair tasks.
4. Must be able to learn and operate within computerized inventory and maintenance programs.
5. Ability to provide instruction and direction to subordinate positions.
6. Ability to communicate with vendors, senior staff and other employees with tact and courtesy.
7. Ability to bend, stoop, reach, pull and push in order to accomplish typical duties and assigned tasks.
8. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
11670 Memphis-Arlington Road
Arlington, Tennessee 38002
Shelby County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national origin or handicap status
Shelby County Government participates in E-Verify
Equal Opportunity Employer
Memphis and Shelby County Health Department
- 2 years ago - save job
Shelby County Health Care Corporation, dba Regional Medical Center at Memphis (The MED), provides a variety of health care services to the...