The education context in Memphis is changing in an exciting way as Memphis City Schools merges with Shelby County schools, creating a district with 150,000 students and nearly 250 schools. TNTP will play an integral part in this reform and therefore seeks a Program Manager for our Memphis Teacher Talent Initiative (MTTI) to help ensure the students of Memphis and Shelby County get the best teachers for their classrooms. These positions will be based in Memphis, TN, and are available immediately. TNTP will provide a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving, if applicable.
Performance Management and the Memphis Teacher Talent Initiative
The Performance Management Group is pioneering new ways to set teachers up for success on the job. We’re helping schools, districts, and states identify how teachers are performing in their most critical role: advancing student learning. And we’re using that information to establish policies and practices that prioritize and support effective teaching, every day.
In Memphis, TNTP implements a start-to-finish teacher hiring solution that is year-round and tied to results. Specifically, the Memphis Teacher Talent Initiative (MTTI) currently partners with Memphis City Schools (MCS) to supply high-quality teachers, support effective matches between candidates and schools, strengthen hiring practices and ensure that all of the district’s principals can choose the best teachers for their classrooms from the strongest possible pool of candidates. The Teacher Talent Initiative services include working directly with school leaders to strengthen their staffing approaches and identify teacher vacancies earlier in the school year and ensuring strong matches between teacher candidates and unique needs of individual schools. Through aggressive recruitment and selection, the Teacher Talent Initiative amasses a large, high-quality pool of teacher applicants – both traditionally certified and alternate route candidates - from which principals can hire the best who most closely fit school needs.
Role and Responsibilities
The Program Manager is responsible for supporting principals to effectively staff their schools. This position offers the successful candidate the opportunity to have a profound impact on how teachers are hired and retained in Memphis.
Specifically, the Program Manager will:
- Directly support approximately 15-25 schools and school leaders, monitoring and meeting ambitious goals that support the early hiring of high quality teachers and ensuring that all school vacancies are filled by the first day of school
- Support innovative staffing initiatives and performance management strategies, including implementation of Instructional Culture Survey and school-based selection model training
- Meet regularly with principals to monitor staffing progress, discuss current needs, help solve problems related to teacher hiring and school staffing, guide principals to use technology solutions and implement hiring best-practices
- Collect and analyze data to benchmark progress against goals and generate innovative solutions to program challenges
- Build and manage strong working relationships with principals, district staff, and other stakeholders as needed
- Assist with management of the relationship with human capital partners (including organizing specialized networking opportunities, creating newsletter content, monitoring hiring data, etc.)
- Work collaboratively with the MTTI staff and contribute to knowledge sharing across teams
- Collaborate with colleagues on teacher recruitment and selection projects as needed
We are seeking candidates who believe deeply in our organization's mission, who thrive in an entrepreneurial and dynamic environment, and who demonstrate a record of achievement. Successful candidates will also demonstrate:
- The ability to learn quickly, work in a fast paced environment and multi-task effectively
- Flexibility when faced with changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Strong client management skills, including the ability to inspire others and influence change
- The ability to build relationships with others at all levels of an organization and to consistently display a high level of professionalism in all interactions
- The ability to work well independently while collaborating with others on meeting common goals
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills, including a willingness to take on projects outside a set scope of work
- A commitment to producing consistently high quality, detailed work
- The ability to identify challenges and actively work to find solutions
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Excellent quantitative data analysis skills
- Excellent event planning, organizational and time-management skills
- Experience working with underperforming schools (preferred)
- Excellent skills working with computers, including a strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
- A willingness to work non-standard hours and/or occasional weekends
The annual salary for this position is $50,000 or commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for a performance based bonus.
TNTP offers a motivated team of dynamic colleagues, a collegial atmosphere that values professional development and valuable feedback, a comprehensive benefits plan effective on the first day of employment – including low cost medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, a 403(b) plan with matching, potential opportunities for performance based bonuses – as well as the chance to influence the direction of a growing, mission-driven organization that is committed to the success of our nation’s children. For more information on TNTP’s competitive benefits package, please visit http://tntp.org/join/our-benefits/
We review applications on a rolling basis – so it is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible. We will not consider applications without a cover letter tailored to this position, which can be addressed to the Human Capital department. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check. TNTP is committed to fostering and capitalizing on the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position.