Description – Overview
1. Routine Animal Care: Performs daily animal care and health flagging for assigned area, including areas requirement specialized and/or additional training such as USDA-covered species, chemical and biohazard agents, radioisotope, etc. Ensures the ventilated cage rack system and automated drinking water system are operating correctly and reports alarms or malfunctions to supervisor immediately.
2. Specialized Animal Procedures: Perform specialized procedures such as routine weanings and separations.
3. Facility & Room Care: Ensures cleanliness and sanitation of animal housing and ancillary areas. Ensures equipment is cleaned, made available for sanitization, etc., on the established schedule. Reports problems to supervisor.
4. Documentation: Records data in the appropriate hardcopy or electronic system. Ensures that data is entered in a timely manner. Records the completion of assigned tasks using the Viewport system. Insures that the correct animal identification is placed on animals. Reports any discrepancies to the supervisor. Completes all written documentation in clear and legible writing.
5. Housekeeping: Maintains environment cleanliness. Ensures supplies are adequately stocked.
6. Other Duties: Other duties as assigned.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: College level courses in biological sciences.
Required: American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) within 180 days of eligibility.
Preferred: American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) Certification.
Required: Three years of animal care experience to include experience in specialized housing techniques.
Preferred: Experience gained in a university research setting.
MD Anderson Cancer Center - 10 months ago
The mission of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center is to eliminate cancer in Texas, the nation, and the world...