The Accounting Manager works under the guidance of the corporate Controller and Assistant Controller to strengthen general accounting functions.
- Review monthly journal entries
- Review monthly account reconciliations
- Review project ledger to general ledger reconciliations
- Prepares journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, and project ledger to general ledger reconciliations
- Research complex accounting transactions according to U.S. GAAP
- Recommend improvements to current processes
- Maintain financial policies and accounting principles/practices in compliance with U.S. GAAP, internal and external reporting requirements, and corporate policies
- Perform complex analysis
- Assists with internal and external audits and reporting requirements for external sources.
- Mentor employees by answering questions and assisting with project accounting
- Assist with month-end close and preparation of monthly financial statements
- Prepare financial reports and analysis for management
- Other duties as assigned
This job assists in supervising the accounting department.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Education and/or Experience : Applicant must have a minimum of a BA degree in Accounting and 5 years progressively responsible experience in accounting with supervisory experience preferred. Prefer experience using Deltek Costpoint and the ability to train employees to use the system. Must have knowledge of U.S. GAAP. Strongly prefer CPA or CMA. Prefer experience in government contracting and DCAA compliance.
- Language Skills : Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Speak effectively before groups of customers or employees.
- Mathematical Skills : Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Computer Skills : To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to type 45 words per minute and should have adequate knowledge of database software, spreadsheet software and word processing software. Microsoft packages preferred. Prefer advanced Excel skills.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; completes work in a timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation – Generates suggestions for improving work; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk. The employee is frequently required to lift, crouch, and reach, using arms and hands while handling materials and items. The employee is occasionally required to carry items, push, pull, climb, stoop and kneel. Must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
PREFERENCE STATEMENT :
Preference will be given to Calista shareholders and their descendants and spouses, and to shareholders of other corporations created pursuant to the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, in accordance with Title 43 U.S. Code 1626(g) and Title 42 U.S. Code 2003-2(i).
It is Calista’s business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of this job description at any time without prior notice.
Calista Corporation - 14 months ago