SERTA MATTRESS-NATIONAL BEDDING COMPANY
Title: FOAM ENCASED OPERATOR
In accordance to the production schedule, obtains supplies for work station and on continuous basis, assembles Foam Encased units according to GMS (established and strict product/quality) specifications in order to complete pieces in an efficient, fast-paced and accurate manner as well as keeping up with the flow of production.
*1. Follows production schedule for pieces to produce and assemble by obtaining accurate component supplies for work station.
*2. Assembles Foam Encased units utilizing the correct components in accordance to GMS/Quality specifications and assembles with spray adhesive; working either in single operation or in combination with another employee (“team” basis) as needed or instructed.
*3. Maintains safe, clean and orderly work station, sweeps area and removes packaging materials and/or other debris regularly throughout the shift.
*4. Places accurate mark on unit, moves then stacks finished Foam Encased units according to production schedule.
*5. Completes any necessary paperwork or production related documentation in an accurate and timely manner as needed.
*6. Assists Matt Supply line as needed or as instructed.
*7. Cross trains as requested in other Matt Build/Tape Edge incentive operations and/or other equipment or operations in order for the Plant to efficiently produce WIP pieces per quality, quantity and minimal scrap/waste standards as needed.
*8. Performs other duties as instructed.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
1. Basic ability to read and write English
2. Must be at least 18 years of age
1. High School graduate or equivalent
2. Prior assembly or manufacturing experience
Initial training period is approximately one week; requires ability to reach minimum 125% efficiency on consistent basis after 30 calendar days of service.
1. Good hand/eye coordination.
2. Accurate attention to detail with ability to sort components in fast paced work environment.
3. Ability to lift and or move moderate to heavy components and pieces on recurrent basis.
4. Ability to reliably comply with attendance requirements necessary in the JIT environment that are necessary to meet customer driven production demands.
5. Ability to interpret and support standards, policies and procedures established by Serta and Federal/State/Local agencies.
Work involves regular walking and working at a fast pace and recurrent basis. Work also involves overhead reaching and lifting/moving of product (up to 60 lbs) on a regular basis. Must be capable of retrieving and transporting crates of innerspring units weighing up to 600 lbs with use of a hand truck. Must be able to push and pull cart loads of finished foam encased units to storage area. Work involves exposure to usual hazards found in a manufacturing environment. Work involves frequent overtime and some weekends as needed to meet customer driven production demands.
SUPERVISED BY: Plant Manager and Plant Supervisor; receives direction from lead mattress supply person
CAREER PATH POTENTIAL: Mattress Builder, Tape Edger or other Incentive Operation