La Crosse County University Extension Office is seeking someone to perform a variety of skilled secretarial functions in working with the University Extension Agents and other department staff in a high performance environment. Also works with volunteer leaders, financial consultants, master food preservers, and master gardeners.
Hours of Work: Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm with a one-hour unpaid lunch break. This is a total of 37.5 hours per week.
Pay: Starts at $14.79/hr. and will get an increase after 6 months .
This position is open until filled, so submit your application soon !
To Be a Successful Applicant: 1-Provide a ten-year work history. Explain gaps in employment. 2-Include reasons for leaving each job. 3-Fill out all fields on the application, including address and phone numbers of previous employers.
Finalist will be tested for Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
Essential Job Functions:
Duties include answering phones, waiting on customers and performing a variety of clerical functions such as, but not limited to, ordering educational publications, setting up filing systems, documentation and handling bulk mailings, formatting and updating databases, receiving and recording monies, making change, balancing accounts, preparing receipts .
Operates computer equipment and various software programs to create, record, edit, sort and revise correspondence, reports, publications, statistics, interactive forms, presentations, and other educational materials.
Performs desktop publishing for layout, design, and graphic work on programs, agendas, brochures, newsletters and reports. Downloads pictures to computer, transfers content for presentation and identification purposes.
Completes typing from machine-dictated and written copy for the department’s personnel, such as general correspondence, reports, educational materials, papers, brochures, newsletters, and program promotion and presentation materials.
Accesses and sends e-mail and information via the internet. Creates, edits, designs, publishes content, and manages internet website.
Inputs and maintains computerized records such as recording office income and expenses, preparing vouchers for payment, financial analysis, data base programs and other related program materials.
Understands and operates under University of Wisconsin policies/procedures relative to budget, faculty policies, University structure and operational procedures, as well as with established County and departmental policies, and County partnership agreements.
Coordinates WISLINE, streaming video, Webcasts, compressed video and satellite teleconference programs and handles attendant correspondence and documentation.
Operates a variety of computer-related equipment: personal or laptop computer; multi-function printers, scanner, copiers, digital camera, LCD, webcam, and camcorder.
Maintains customer-service focus, dedicating self to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers, establishing and maintaining effective relationships.
In this public service position, employee is required to be courteous, cooperative and respectful at all times, with the public and clients. Also establishes and maintains a courteous, cooperative and respectful working relationship with other employees, supervisors and public officials.
Physical demands: Sits at desk, uses hearing, near vision and fingering for typing, word processing, calculators or other office machines. Talks to clients, callers, department staff. Sits, stands, bends, reaches, and moves about the office intermittently throughout the day. Handles papers and manuals, etc., lift files, copy paper and other office materials. Moves from desk to counter. Regularly climbs ladder in storage room and moves boxes of ribbons, supplies, records, etc., from shelves; on occasion, transfers them to and from a car. On daily basis, moves Wisline, Webcast and satellite teleconference equipment, LCD and overhead equipment. Occasionally goes to basement to get boxes of supplies.
RELATED JOB FUNCTIONS
• Reflects time management skills by effectively and efficiently setting priorities and meeting deadlines such as the timely publishing of newsletters, minutes, education program and promotional materials.
• Adheres to the statement of values and guidelines set by UW-Extension.
• Sets goals for personal growth and development.
• This job description is not intended to encompass every job duty or responsibility, but is only illustrative. This position is required to perform other duties as may be assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of and ability to perform layout and design of brochures and newsletters with computer graphics.
• Thorough knowledge of, and ability to perform, routine and advanced word processing, database and spreadsheet functions.
• Ability to work extended periods of time at a computer keyboard.
• Ability to transcribe with proficiency from machine to dictation/transcriber.
• Considerable knowledge of up-to-date office methods and procedures.
• Considerable knowledge of business English, grammar, punctuation and spelling and ability to set up and draft correspondence.
• Ability to perform varied and difficult clerical tasks.
• Ability to give instructions to the public in a clear and concise manner.
• Ability to make mathematical computations and to keep a variety of records.
• Ability to meet, work with, and establish good working relationships with the public, County officials and other employees.
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
• Ability to type 60 words per minute net, with 70 preferred.
Training, Experience and Other Requirements:
• Graduation from an accredited high school, or equivalency, with advanced clerical training at a technical institute preferred.
• Two years of office experience with demonstrated competency and experience using computers: performing routine and advanced word processing; desktop publishing (Publisher preferred); web management (WordPress); financial spreadsheets (Excel); PowerPoint; computer database management programs (Access), creating interactive forms (Adobe Acrobat). Successful applicant will be tested for Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Publisher. MOS certification preferred.
• Excellent clerical, English and grammar skills.
• Experience with office machines.
• Experience with graphics, design layouts, and database management.
• Internet email, Web, and social media experience preferred.
• Experience creating and editing DVD/multimedia video preferred.
La Crosse County, WI - 5 months ago