Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 845740
This position is physically located in Nursing Service at the Overton Brooks VA Medical Center in Shreveport, LA.
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional nurse, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply
Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required.
Must pass pre-employment examination.
Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
Background and/or Security Investigation required.
English Language Proficiency required. DUTIES:
The Registered Nurse (Workforce Development Coordinator for Specialty Care) is a registered, professional nurse who provides formal/informal/virtual instructions for clinicians, staff nurses, and support staff. The Specialty areas are inclusive of the OR; Same Day Surgery, Recovery, Emergency Dept, ICU, and Step-Down. The Workforce Development Coordinator for Specialty Care collaborates with multiple disciplines in the assessment, planning, organization, implementation and evaluation of an effective program including orientation, continuing education and in-services. The Workforce Development Coordinator for Specialty Care establishes effective relationships with all associated service personnel and serves as liaison between nursing service and the other service lines. The Workforce Development Coordinator for Specialty Care is a role model in demonstrating excellence in practice, serves as a clinical mentor/preceptor for clinical and administrative staff, consults/collaborates in patient care and research, and educates in both formal and informal situations. Demonstrates leadership in delivering and improving holistic care through collaborative strategies with others. The Workforce Development Coordinator for Specialty Care is responsible to the Chief Nurse of Clinical Programs.
Work Schedule: Generally Monday - Friday - 0730 to 1600 with need for great flexibility to provide for the educational needs to the staff on a 24/7 basis.
- Works collaboratively with and is an active member of the Workforce Development Team, participating as applicable with general educational directives, training, in-services, orientation, education programs, and critical care courses, and other needs as they are identified.
- Serves as a role model and clinical leader to the nursing staff for clinical excellence, research, best practices, and evidence based practice.
- Collaborates with multidisciplinary teams in planning, directing, and implementing a veteran-centered environment.
- Systematically evaluates and facilitates change in clinical practice/standards of care.
- Responsible for assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the educational activities of nursing staff.
- Ability to convey information to staff at various levels from novice to expert.
- Demonstrates familiarity with established policies of the unit in accordance with the Joint Commission, other regulatory agencies, and VA policy. Ability to articulate and interpret organizational policies and procedures to the health care team.
- Functions as one of the key people in the development and implementation of policies and procedures related to the standards.
- Promotes evidence based clinical practice and assist staff and leadership with Quality Management and Performance Improvement programs, including research projects.
- Takes initiative and utilizes innovative and creative approaches for changing practice based on performance improvement findings and evidence based practice.
- Demonstrates leadership in providing clinical expertise in selecting/supporting new equipment/monitoring devices used within facility. Provides training and education on all new equipment.
- Collaborates with management, Chief Nurse, and Medical Directors for program development, quality care, and resource planning.
- Collaborates with Informatics and Clinical Application teams to meet and update staff learning needs with electronic documentation.
- Facilitates a variety of learning experiences using a range of instructional methods and modalities.
- Change agent, fosters and demonstrates innovative and creative approaches to problem solving and process improvement.
- Utilizes methods, measurements, and tools to evaluate achievement of learning goals and analyze data.
- Enhance and facilitate clinical excellence and professional standards and performance through the incorporation of nursing grand rounds, continuing education programs, in-services, journal clubs, student experiences, new employee and experienced staff orientation.
- Acts as a resource and liaison by serving on facility-wide committees and task forces.
- In collaboration with the nursing staff, provides direct clinical care to selected/complex patients and their families
- Position reports to the Chief Nurse of Clinical Programs
****Salary/Grade to be determined by Nurse Professional Standards Board dependent upon selectee's qualifications, (i.e. education and experience).****
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Citizen of the United States. Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia . In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. Must be proficient in spoken and written English .
Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows: Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization, Professional Development: performance, education/career development, Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality, Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research. Education/Experience Requirements:
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-6 NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD
Physical Requirements: This position requires Heavy Lifting, 45 pounds & over; heavy carrying, 45 pounds & over; straight pulling (4 hours); pushing (4 hours); use of fingers; both hands required; walking & standing 8-12 hours; repeated bending 8 hours; both legs required; ability for rapid mental & muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable @ 13 to 16 to Jaeger 1 to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; depth perception; ability to distinguish shades of colors; hearing (aide permitted). Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Preferred Experience: A minimum of five years of experience in one of the Specialty areas (OR, ICU, Step-down, ED) and formal/informal/virtual teaching experience with some management preferred. Experience must be current.
PhD in Nursing or MSN in Nursing
Critical Care Course
Preferred VA recognized Certifications:
CNOR (Certified Nurse - Operating Room)
CCRN (Critical Care Registered Nurse)
CEN (Certified Emergency Nurse)
PCCN (Progressive Care Certified Nurse)
Others may be considered.
Additional position requirements:
The following are preferred requirements for this position:
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing required.
- BLS and/or ACLS instructor certification. Instructor certification is required within three (3) months of hire)
- Current BLS and/or ACLS provider certification
- Demonstrated teaching and clinical leadership ability in the development of creative educational programs, research, performance improvement, and staff development.
- A thorough understanding of adult learning principles and learning methodologies. The ability to employ strategies and techniques that promote a positive learning and practice environment.
- Ability to function both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates excellent skill in communication, customer service, presentation, problem solving, patient teaching and interpersonal relationships.
- Experience with preceptor and mentoring techniques and familiarity with online learning applications and simulation technology.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer technology and common software programs (i.e. Microsoft programs, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, etc.) and other electronic data and documentation programs.
- Demonstrated experience in program and project development, management, and coordination.
When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or résumé. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference. Veterans who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD Form 214 or other proof prior to appointment to document entitlement to preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx . HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment. You may also be evaluated based upon the question responses you provide during a structured interview. In responding to structured interview questions you should be sure to cite specific examples of experience, explain exactly what you did, and the outcome. BENEFITS:
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life. For more information please visit us at
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies. OTHER INFORMATION:
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
usajobs.gov - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard
The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. It is...