The Port of Long Beach is one of the world's busiest seaports and is a leading gateway for international trade, credited with moving more than $140 billion in consumer goods in 2011. Also referred to as the City of Long Beach Harbor Department, the Port is governed by a five-member Board of Harbor Commissioners, and managed by Executive Director J. Christopher Lytle. Operations are organized into five functional areas: Executive Management: Finance and Administration; Trade Relations and Port Operations; Engineering; and Environmental Affairs and Planning. The Port employs approximately 400 full-time staff and has an annual budget over $700 million
About the position: The Port of Long Beach has an opening in its Trade Development Division for the position of Trade Analyst. This position is responsible for providing key market research and analysis related to existing and new business opportunities.
Under general supervision, the incumbent will be responsible for:
- Monitoring, analyzing, and reporting global trade data and other information that can be used to advise staff on the Port's competitive position
- Identifying current and near term trends and opportunities in the marketplace
- Working with staff in other Port divisions to quantify the costs and benefits of different lines of business and land uses at the Port (i.e containerized vs non-containerized cargo, commercial offices vs warehousing/transloading)
- Supporting the division in assessing/analyzing new domestic and international business opportunities, cargo and otherwise
- Providing competitive positioning analysis and expertise through in depth understanding of top competitor projects and business development efforts at other ports
- Managing the Trade Development Division's trade databases (PIERS, World Trade Atlas, etc.) and developing a high level of expertise in manipulating and maintaining these databases
- Performing other duties as required.
The principal responsibility of this position will be to support the Trade Development Division. The successful candidate will be proactive, have a broad understanding of research and analytical practices, and be able to identify current and near term trends and opportunities in the marketplace. The ideal candidate will possess:
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in International Business, Business Administration, Economics, or a related discipline. A Master's degree is highly desirable. A minimum of two years progressively responsible professional level experience in trade analysis, business development, or operations is required. Port/Maritime experience is strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Strong quantitative skills, knowledge of database management practices, and the ability to manipulate and communicate data-based information in writing
- Ability to identify, collect, synthesize and report information effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to solve problems quickly and creatively
- High-level organizational and planning skills
- Good judgment
The salary range for this position is $60,771-$82,707. Placement is dependent upon qualifications. In addition, the Port has a generous benefits package.
To apply, please click on the "Apply" link and submit your application online. Please be sure to attach a cover letter and resume to your application. Applications must be submitted no later than June 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The Port reserves the right to extend without notice the closing date in order to accept additional applications.
Depending upon the number of applicants, the Port may review the applications to determine the most qualified candidates. Those determined most qualified will be invited to continue in the selection process.
If you have any questions or require additional information, including this information in an alternate format, please contact the Human Resources Division at (562) 283-7500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.The Port of Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer
GovernmentJobs.com - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard