Under general supervision of a Nurse Manager and according to established Hospital and nursing department policies and procedures, performs a variety of duties including: compiling, transcribing, preparing and maintaining records in a specific nursing area or unit. Provides information and communication services to visitors and staff. Assists nursing staff in maintaining efficient and effective operations on the unit.
- Accurately transcribes physician orders and notifies the appropriate nursing staff.
- Enters and coordinates computer data on all patients.
- Coordinates with other Hospital departments, such as Radiology, Housekeeping, Laboratories, Social Services, etc. to request and obtain supplies and services. Works with nursing staff to coordinate patient transfers to and from the unit.
- Serves as the unit's communication person, answering phone calls, taking and relaying messages. Answers questions of visitors, physicians, or other departments in person or by phone. Initiates emergency protocol under the direction of a physician or nurse.
- Receives and directs visitors and family members. Provides routine information regarding Hospital and unit procedures.
- Initiates, maintains, and updates patient charts, inserting appropriate forms, ancillary department reports, consults, etc.
- Rearranges order of charts for medical records when patient is discharged. Ensures that charts for transfer patients are copied prior to transfer to other facilities.
- Ensures that the unit is adequately stocked with necessary supplies and equipment. Completes appropriate requisitions and/or charge slips, obtaining proper approvals.
- Accesses patient data for nursing and medical staff as needed.
- Maintains work area on nursing unit in a neat and orderly condition.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Successful completion of a unit secretary course preferred
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred
- Knowledge of or experience in healthcare
- One year Unit Secretary experience preferred
- Computer/typing skills preferred
- Successfully completes computer class within sixty days or as scheduled
Catholic Health Initiatives and its organizations are Equal Opportunity Employers.
- Demonstrates a commitment to service, organization values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times
- Adheres to and exhibits our core values:
: Having a profound spirit of awe and respect for all creation, shaping relationships to self, to one another and to God and acknowledging that we hold in trust all that has been given to us.
: Moral wholeness, soundness, uprightness, honesty and sincerity as a basis of trustworthiness.
: Feeling with others, being one with others in their sorrows and joys, rooted in the sense of solidarity as members of the human community.
: Outstanding achievement, merit, virtue; continually surpassing standards to achieve/maintain quality.
- Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times
- Adheres to organizational and department specific safety standards and guidelines
- Works collaboratively and supports efforts of team members
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, residents, visitors, staff and the broader health care community
Administrative and Clerical
WA-Lakewood-St Clare Hospital
Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period
For Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI), returning sick people to good health is more than a business -- it's a mission. Formed in 1996...