Position: Database Specialist
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Oakland or Sacramento
SEIU United Healthcare Workers-West (UHW), with more than 150,000 members, is the largest healthcare union in California. We are caregivers from every sector of the industry, united to win better care for our patients and better lives for our families and ourselves. For further information about UHW, please visit our website: www.seiu-uhw.org .
The Database Specialist coordinates and implements use of multiple relational databases used by SEIU-UHW. The Database Specialist coordinates and provides database training and support for staff. Integrating the use of data is key to our union's future success, and the Database Specialist works with staff across the organization to plan and implement this integration of the use of data in order to achieve programmatic goals, exercising independent judgment and discretion in planning and working under only general direction.
Major Areas of Responsibility
Experience and Skills
- Develop, coordinate and maintain systems and plans for the use of multiple relational databases to enter/load data and create various reports and statistics, exercising independent judgment and discretion to align with and deliver overarching objectives.
- Perform bulk uploads.
- Both independently and in close collaboration with others, identify and fulfill reporting needs.
- Pull and analyze data in order to provide accurate reports.
- Work closely with all levels of field and operations staff, planning and providing support and training as needed on data collection, entry/importing, extraction, and production of reports.
- Provide solutions and recommend changes to processes to ensure accuracy and increase efficiency in close collaboration with divisions/departments across the organization.
- Design and maintain systems to perform data quality control and ensure data integrity.
- Run data matches using multiple databases (MS Access queries).
- Assign user accounts and provide technical support and training to end users.
- Independently manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- May be assigned to act as team lead on certain projects.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Qualified applicants must be able to balance multiple demands, be comfortable with aggressive timelines, and to quickly change directions when priorities shift.
- Accreditation at a four year institution and/or transferrable minimum 2 years' work experience in data processing and computer sciences.
- 2-3 years database work experience required; VAN (Voter Activation Network) experience strongly preferred.
- Some experience in Access and SQL, writing queries, views, stored procedures, security permissions, and creating tables.
- Advanced skills and experience in Microsoft and other applications.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong analytic, problem solving, and project planning skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and discern priorities.
- Willingness to demonstrate skills via testing during hiring process.
- Union/political organizing background, including production and use of data and lists that support organizing goals strongly preferred.
- Experience in union or other nonprofit environment particularly valuable.
- Self-motivated with ability to work well independently and to think on your feet.
- Willingness and ability to take direction and function well within a team structure, as well as to coordinate (and at times lead) the work of others on complex projects and campaigns.
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully in diverse communities.
- Willingness and ability to work long and varying hours, including weekends, nights and holidays.
- Willingness to learn new skills and keep current on the news and issues that affect our organization and our members.
- Interest in and commitment to progressive social change and healthcare justice for all.
*Written placement test is required of all applicants.
SEIU-UHW offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefit package.
idealist.org - 18 months ago