Chicago Tribune Media Group, the premier media & business services company in Chicagoland, is seeking qualified candidates for our open Electrician position. In this role, you'll serve as a Maintenance Technician for the Chicago Tribune, responsible for electrical and electronic maintenance of the production equipment in accordance with national and city electrical codes to ensure maximum availability of this equipment to the users.
- To troubleshoot complex electrical and electronic systems on all production and facility related equipment to component level, as required. This includes working and climbing with ladders, catwalks, press towers and conveyors.
- Perform troubleshooting and repairs for complex computer and PLC controlled equipment / systems. This includes the use of laptop computers and software to interrogate and repair production and facility computer and PLC controlled equipment / systems.
- To communicate verbally with customers on identifying and resolving problems and to work independently in making decisions on repair and maintenance tasks assigned by the supervisor.
- To determine and make recommendation in the case of failures as to the continued safe operation of electrical systems and/ or equipment.
- To read, understand and use complex industrial and electronic schematics, blueprints and equipment manuals.
- To continually increase technical knowledge about the various equipment for which our department is responsible; this includes in-house courses, on-the-job training, self-study and vendor schools.
- To recommend parts for repair and replacement and to help maintain correct inventory levels.
- Must have a high school diploma and college or trade school training in electronic theory or equivalent related experience. Typically requires 3-5 years of industrial electronic training or equivalent job experience, i.e. military electrical/electronic training. Repairs at the printed circuit board level are a plus.
- Must have 3-5 years of industrial machine control computer and PLC skills and knowledge sufficient to troubleshoot and repair complex machine controls. This includes the utilization of computer and / or PLC diagnostic software to identify causes of equipment failures and AC/DC variable speed motor controls.
- Should have a strong knowledge of industrial electrical theory of operation for industrial equipment, complex relay logic systems and troubleshooting.
- Requires the technical and analytical skills necessary to read complex electrical and electronic schematics and blueprints, and use various test equipment including: computers, software, and general electrical test equipment and hand tools as required and where necessary.
- Must have mechanical aptitude.
- Requires sufficient strength, flexibility and mobility to access remote areas of the physical plant, as well as hard to reach parts of equipment/machinery. Working and climbing on catwalks, ladders, lifts, press towers, and conveyors is necessary.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs. to facilitate completion of assigned job responsibilities.
- Requires the ability to work shifts, weekends and holidays as required.
Tribune Company - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard