Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform semi-skilled and skilled work in a variety of maintenance trades.
This is a continuous application pool for the seasonal position of "Public Works Laborer."
This class specification represents a non-regular (temporary, intermittent, seasonal) position and broadly lists the duties of the position. The pay rate for non-regular positions is based on whether the individual employee is performing these duties at an entry-level, administrative, technical, or professional level, as well as the employee’s level of experience and whether they are supervising or providing work direction to other staff.
Representative Duties, Knowledge, and Abilities:
*Works special events and volunteer projects; use approved department equipment; perform minor equipment maintenance.
*Operate and maintain a variety of maintenance equipment and tools; clean and perform routine maintenance on equipment and tools.
*May oversee non-regular workers (seasonal, intermittent, temporary, etc.) as assigned.
*Remain current with relevant technological advancements as it relates to field.
*Maintain regular, reliable, and punctual attendance; work flexible evening and/or weekend hours as required; ability to travel as required.
Perform related duties as assigned.
*Denotes an essential function.
EXAMPLE OF SPECIALTIES LISTED BELOW (NOT INCLUSIVE): All listed duties are essential functions
- Assist in performing a variety of unskilled, manual duties for City street, water, storm/waste water, and systems.
- Assist in brush and vegetation cutting and control; mow and trim lawns/right of ways, grass and weeds; trim and edge around walks and flower beds; prune shrubs and trees; remove weeds in planting areas; transplant shrubs and plants.
- Prepare surface and paint structures and equipment as assigned.
- Collect and dispose of trash; load and unload materials from trucks.
- Assist in the installation, maintenance and repair of sprinkler systems.
- Dig and backfill excavations manually.
- Operate pick-up trucks and one ton trucks; operate pruners, edgers, mowers, trucks and miscellaneous manual and power hand tools.
- Prepare and grade terrain; apply fertilizers; seed and sod lawns.
- Assist in cleaning, maintenance and repair of building and facilities, storm and waste water lines, manholes, catch basins, streets and water facilities and systems.
- Perform flagging and traffic control duties on job sites.
- Perform custodial duties; make minor plumbing repairs.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Perform routine maintenance and repair to street lighting and traffic signal systems.
- Install, relamp and clean traffic signal heads; change bulbs and clean lenses.
- Perform routine maintenance and repair of the street lighting systems.
- Assist technicians in more complex work as needed.
- Perform traffic flagging and traffic control duties on job sites.
- Fabricate traffic signs; install traffic signs; paint or install pavement markings.
- Assist in the installation, relamping and cleaning of traffic signal heads; change bulbs and clean lenses; assist with the routine maintenance and repair of street lighting, run/way/taxiway lights and beacon.
- Standard tools, equipment, materials, methods and techniques used in a variety of maintenance trades.
- Operation and proper maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Requirements of maintaining buildings, facilities, parks, grounds, and equipment in good repair.
- Health and safety practices, regulations and procedures.
- Basic math.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Basic construction trades.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and repair of City buildings, facilities, parks, grounds, and equipment.
- Operate a variety of light equipment and power tools.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and in writing.
- Maintain records related to work performed.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Lift objects weighing up to 80 pounds.
- Learn health and safety regulations.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Work cooperatively with others using tact, patience, and courtesy.
Education, Experience, and Other Requirements:
Any combination equivalent to: sufficient education, training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Washington State driver’s license. Ability to perform physical labor. Some positions may require Traffic Flagging certification (must be 18 years of age to obtain), and First Aid certification.
This is a continuous application pool for the seasonal position of "Public Works Laborer." During the year, if a position becomes available, the hiring manager may request to review the applications we currently have on file. Applications are kept on file for one year.