PLEASE NOTE: THIS OPPORTUNITY WILL BE FILLED AS A SOURCE2 POSITION
Must have the physical, developmental and mental ability to perform job tasks, work efforts, responsibilities and duties of the job illustrated below:
Performs technical work for establishment and implementation of specifications for telecommunications, multimedia and data network systems that are consistent with organization strategies. Interacts with the user community, IT staff and vendors to assure that said communications equipment is acquired, configured, installed, maintained and utilized. Performs routine maintenance, repair, trouble shooting and installation on various telephone and data communication equipment.
- Completes work order request forms for service on voice and data communication equipment.
- Provides users with necessary documentation and instruction on usage of telecommunications equipment.
System Analysis and Design:
- Develops telecommunications standards and specifications for PBX / KEY system installations, maintenance and acquisitions.
- Provides technical evaluations on communication systems and evaluates new and current systems to assure compliance with county standards, utilization and specifications.
- Analyzes traffic flow to determine proper trunk to station ratio requirements.
- Configures and recommends communication systems, wiring configurations and site requirements based on site surveys.
- Provides periodic follow-up review for all data communications equipment performance noting any significant/potential problems and recommends resolution.
- Performs routine diagnostics and installation of wiring closets, circuits and communication cabling consisting of category 5 and fiber optic infrastructures.
System Installation, Maintenance and Programming:
- Assists with, or performs programming on various voice, multimedia and data communication equipment ranging from main PBX switches, call accounting, voice mail through smaller keyed systems.
- Travels to user sites to service, maintain, trouble shoot and install telephone, multimedia and data communication equipment.
- Operates testing and diagnostic communication equipment as required.
- Responsible for overall coordination of projects from design through implementation for large telecommunication systems and network infrastructures.
- Responsible for coordinating the acquisition of voice, multimedia and data communication equipment.
- Provides telecommunications staff with advanced technical support on complex communication issues.
- Responsible for accepting and trouble shooting incoming requests for data communications equipment failure, recommending/performing corrective actions or placing service calls to appropriate vendors as required.
- Assists with the development and implementation of a strategic and disaster recovery plan.
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of practices and procedures used for telecommunications systems .
- Knowledge of telecommunications system installation, maintenance and programming procedures.
- Ability to evaluate various hardware and software telecommunication products and make cost effective recommendations that meet the users needs .
- Responsible for initiating or assisting users needs for data communications equipment through follow up, completion of necessary forms for purchasing, acquisition, and installation/set up upon delivery.
- Knowledgeable in the use of testing and diagnostic equipment including the ability to take proper corrective actions.
- Knowledge of Windows operating system with fundamental understanding of personal computers operation.
- Responsible to work with county personnel and vendors to review service contracts and recommend appropriate actions to management.
- Ability to use independent judgment and /or function as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of electrical and electronic circuitry.
- Knowledge in safety and occupational hazards related to electrical and electronic repair.
- Ability to learn various voice and data communications equipment and systems.
- Ability to work independently and adhere to prescribed routines and policies.
- Ability to communicate effectively and provide quality customer service.
- Ability to perform duties in all weather conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to lift and transport a load of 45 lb.
- Ability to bend, stoop, sit, stand, and drive from work site to work site.
- Ability to sit for long periods.
- Must have visual acuity.
Graduate of an accredited high school or possess an acceptable equivalency diploma. Must have a minimum of four (4) years telecommunications experience which includes analog and digital PBX / KEY system configurations, installation and maintenance. Experience must emphasize various data concepts, experience in electronics, communication techniques, problem determination, resolution and evaluation of various hardware, for computer networks and communication systems
Must possess a valid driver's license and be able to secure a valid Florida driver's license at the time of employment within this classification.
A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications with the exception of license.
Preferred applicant will have experience with NEC SV8100, NEC SV8500, NEC 2400 IMX, XXH, DXH or IMG systems.
Must have a home telephone within thirty (30) days of employment in this classification as employee is subject to call out.
JOB LOCATION : Information Technology, Bartow, FL
WORK SCHEDULE: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
HIRING RATE : $47,257.00 - $58,073.00 (Pay Grade 27)
Interested applicants and employees should apply by creating an application profile as detailed below. Apply no later than the closing date indicated above.
APPLICATIONS MAY ONLY BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY ON THIS WEBSITE.
POLK COUNTY BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS, HUMAN RESOURCES (863) 534-6030
POLK COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IT IS OUR POLICY TO PROVIDE EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL QUALIFIED PERSONS, REGARDLESS OF RACE, RELIGION, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY OR ANY OTHER CATEGORY PROTECTED BY LAW.
Polk County - 19 months ago