POSITION: Director of Environmental Affairs
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Operations Services
Company Overview :
PSC Metals, Inc. is engaged principally in the buying, selling, and processing of both ferrous and non-ferrous scrap for its own account and for the accounts of others on a North American basis. Our recycling operations are strategically located throughout North America and complemented by a scrap brokerage network of highly experienced traders. PSC Metals, Inc. is owned by Icahn Enterprises, LP.
The Director of Environmental Affairs will be appointed by the Vice President, Operations Services, and will be responsible for all matters related to environmental permitting and compliance. Ensures yard compliance with environmental regulations in the day-to-day operations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure that the company is in compliance with all federal, state and local environmental legislation.
- Maintain and apply knowledge of current policies, regulations and scrap industry processes.
- Prepare, review and update environmental investigation and recommendation reports.
- Provide guidance on all local, state and federal environmental compliance reporting.
- Obtain, update and maintain plans, permits and standard operating procedures. Assures that all environmental permits are in place for existing operations and for new and revised equipment and processes in time to meet all project timelines.
- Prepare and submit application for renewal or new permits; air, water, solid and hazardous wastes.
- Inspect all facilities to evaluate compliance with environmental regulations.
- Develop proposed project objectives and targets, and report to management on progress in attaining them.
- Conduct internal audits with state/federal inspectors, customers & proposed acquisitions.
- Direct and report on environmental studies for establishing overall needs and goals for environmental compliance both present and future.
- Prepare and monitor waste minimunization and reduction plans
- Coordinates with operations on any changes to equipment design or operational procedures that may impact the environment.
- Responsible for environmental compliance throughout the organization.
- Represent the company externally to government agencies, funding agencies, general public and media.
- Interface with all departments.
- Manage, evaluate and direct all environmental compliance.
- Other duties as assigned by Vice President, Operations Services.
- Monitor progress of environmental improvement programs.
- Mentor and provide expertise to HSET department.
- Develop training programs to improve environmental knowledge at the operations and HSET level.
1. College Degree, BS in Environmental Engineering preferred
2. Minimum 10 years work experience in scrap metal, steel, foundry or metals business preferred.
3. Experienced in Project Management, Environmental regulations, Environmental Reserve Accounting, Environmental site testing, sampling.
4. Strong background in working and negotiations with agencies.
5. Audit experience
6. Management and People skills (provide guidance at local level as well as management level).
7. Strong customer focus both internal and external.
8. Willing to Travel up to 50% of the time with a desire to remain in the field.
9. Familiarity with Health and Safety policies and programs.
10. Microsoft Office & CAD
11. Technical compliance training
12. Certifications preferred: CHMM, ISO 14000 experience
COMMUNICATION/KNOWLEDGE/CONTACT WITH OTHERS:
DECISION-MAKING, PROBLEM SOLVING/INDEPENDENCE OF ACTION:
- Frequently communicates information and interacts with customers, government agencies, employees and management. Can present, resolve conflicts and address delicate situations. Can motivate and persuade others.
- In-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures with ability to use in varied situations.
- Has frequent contact with others, both inside and outside of the Company. Results have major implications on the management and operations of the yards, regions & organization.
- Decisions contribute to business and operational decisions that affect the yard.
- Problems are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation. Problems are solved using knowledge and skills and general practices within the scope of Company guidelines.
- Results are defined. Sets own goals and determine how to accomplish results.
Inside/Outside: Job requires a significant amount of time outside being subjected to various weather conditions.
Monster - 11 months ago
The Company is a scrap solutions provider, maximizing value by cross-marketing its complementary services and expertise to steel mini mills,...