What’s PEER 1’s reason for being?
We’re here to make the Internet work better by creating the most human experience on the web. Sound ambitious? Yeah, we did that on purpose. We allow our customers to focus on the possibilities of the Internet, not the problems – whether they are a kid working out of a garage or a global conglomerate. We do this by offering hosting services in the 21 world-class data centers we have planted all over North America and Europe. Oh, and we should probably mention that we run them all on our very own backbone.
We’ve been rapidly growing ever since two maverick minds had a chance meeting in a Vancouver elevator and decided to found the company back in 1999. But don’t assume that our growth path was blazed without challenges. Challenges are why we, and hopefully you, walk into work every day, roll up our sleeves and start creating answers to the dilemmas businesses face on the Internet. If this sounds like something you’re game for, keep on reading.
The Data Center Technician interacts with PEER 1 Dedicated Hosting customers to physically support and monitor systems. This includes utilizing research from online resources, books and product documentation, other employees within the support organization, and the product engineering and management teams. This position requires a willingness to dream big and measure yourself against the best. Not just technologically, but in all that you do. Be prepared for a career that doesn’t feel like work – no matter how long and hard you are actually working.
Position Requirements Education/Experience
- Configures, installs, and supports dedicated servers.
- Configures, installs, and maintains dedicated network components.
- Monitors all servers to ensure they are not experiencing hardware issues.
- Keeps the data center organized and efficient.
- Troubleshoots physical problems and addresses issues within the facility.
- Installs and upgrades servers within the data center, including server additions and server removals.
- Works on trouble tickets.
- Loads, installs and maintains OS on dedicated servers.
- Troubleshoots problems on dedicated servers.
- Troubleshoots problems with initial installation, connectivity, and monitor problems.
- Troubleshoots problems with customer servers, as required by customers and our support departments.
- Diagnoses and resolves problems.
- Monitors system performance along with tuning and capacity planning.
- Provisioning: Advanced knowledge of provisioning processes, able to troubleshoot new implementations. Provides feedback to engineering and management to help streamline provisioning flow.
- Network: troubleshooting and applying the best method to mitigate or escalate a request under different circumstances. May include configuring load balancers, firewall changes, server disconnect, etc. Escalations may include network engineering, network operations, Support, security, and abuse.
- Network: Switch provisioning, configuration and troubleshooting. Requires intermediate level knowledge of standard switches in local data center.
- Network: Firewall configuration and troubleshooting. Intermediate knowledge of VPN, needs to be able to review, troubleshoot, and perhaps configure.
- Network: Troubleshooting load balancers. Requires intermediate knowledge of load balancer configuration and command line troubleshooting.
- Hardware: Hardware expert - knowledgeable in non-standard hardware platforms. Comfortable working on Dell and Super Micro hardware, legacy hardware troubleshooting.
- Miscellaneous: With the above skills, is a key player in troubleshooting multiple server or complex environments including firewalls, load balancing, Cloud computing, and SAN & massive storage solutions where monitoring alerts may indicate problems other than something on the server showing the alert.
- Infrastructure: Ability to monitor and respond to environmental, networking, and electrical issues in an emergency.
- Networking: Capable of building custom cables (CAT5e, CAT6) and wiring custom racks.
- Documentation: Thorough and concise documentation of procedures and bug tracking; can apply logic and analytical skills to tracing and formally documenting all steps taken during troubleshooting.
- Excellent organization and follow-up skills.
- Excellent customer relation and communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple activities/projects while working solo.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex problems as it relates to hardware components.
- Ability to successfully coordinate with other departments in solving complex server provisi0oning problems.
- Solid understanding of server/PC hardware.
- Able to use ticketing and proprietary systems for tracking work.
- Works productively and positively with other departments to minimize errors and reduce SLAs
- Able to configure Windows, BSD, Debian, and Red Hat Operating Systems.
- Working knowledge of Windows, BSD, Debian, and Red Hat Operating Systems.
- Working knowledge of common TCP/IP protocols such as telnet, ssh, ftp, smtp.
- Ability to telnet and console into switches, routers, and other networking equipment to assist our Networking department in administration and troubleshooting connectivity issues.
- Willingness and ability to adapt to constant change to the work environment.
- Willingness to work overnight shifts.
- Must be dependable and possess common sense.
- Please click on the ‘Apply’ button below to submit your cover letter and resume
- Closing Date: We are committed to hiring the best people for our PEER team, therefore this position will remain open until we find the right fit! Be sure to apply right away, we don’t want to miss the opportunity to meet our next superstar.
PEER 1 Hosting - 19 months ago