Performs routine maintenance and repair of motorized vehicles and equipment. Position involves working extended hours past an eight-hour work shift, weekends and some holidays. Work is performed both inside and outside a fleet maintenance shop; exposure to vehicle fumes, dirt, grease, and vehicle fluids which may cause burns or skin irritation; subject to cuts, bruises, electrical shocks, burns and strains; protective clothing includes safety shoes, glasses and gloves. Requires heavy physical work involving lifting and carrying items weighing up to 100 pounds, bending, stooping, climbing, crouching, kneeling, and squatting.
DOT REGULATION REQURIE DRUG AND TESTING, AND RELEASE OF INFORMTION FORM (49 CFR PART 40).
FIRST CONSIDERATION WILL BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET ALL MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Full-Time; Regular; Non-Exempt; Union-Represented
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects vehicles for damage or potential problems (inspects belts, hoses and tires and replaces as necessary).
- Lubricates vehicles; checks and maintains fluids; performs oil changes.
- Maintains tools and equipment.
- Cleans vehicles and equipment.
- Participates in conducting general inspections of vehicles.
- Participates in performing minor welding repairs of vehicles and/or equipment.
- Provides assistance to Mechanics as needed.
- Responds to service calls to repair vehicles.
- Maintains records.
- May transport vehicles to and from the Fleet Maintenance Shop.
Requires a high school diploma or GED plus one year of experience in automotive repair/servicing. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Valid Class D driver’s license is required. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
General knowledge of: Standard tools, materials, methods, practices, hazards and safety precautions of tire repair and light mechanical work.
Ability to: Perform a broad level of reading and writing; understand and carry out basic oral and written instructions; communicate effectively; establish effective working relationships; operate City vehicles and equipment; use tools and a two-way communication device.
Skills in: Equipment and tool use.
City of Las Cruces, NM - 11 months ago