The Systems Engineer shall perform the functions of the server administration group in providing development, implementation, and testing of a backup and recovery strategy covering the server room, switch closets, Local Area Network (LAN) rooms, and network communication center. In providing support services for a Government client, the Systems Engineers are responsible for server administration in preparing, updating, and maintaining drawings of their computer facility for the purpose of configuration and change management, security, fire, safety, and physical planning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The Systems Engineer participates as a member of the server administration group to include the following support services:
- Monitoring of computer facility systems to ensure maximum availability of IT services. Upon detection of problems or failures, perform remedial actions to stabilize or restore the associated IT service.
- Running and technically supporting production jobs in accordance with well defined schedules in compliance with current policies and procedures.
- Operating and maintaining hardware and operating system software for database, file print, application, batch and web servers, and email systems.
- Operating and maintaining Enterprise backup such as Symantec NetBackup for performing server backups to provide for system restoration, file and database recover, and disaster recovery.
- Familiarity with Tape backups, restore, and VTL.
- Operating and Maintaining Enterprise Network/System Monitoring software including fault handling and escalation.
- Configuring and maintaining application web servers in accordance with policy and procedures. This includes setting up the appropriate testing and production environments and integrating various software products.
- Providing consultation for unique requirements and needs of application servers
- Maintaining patches, updates, and version control for servers.
- Working cooperatively with Cyber Security personnel, develop, maintain, and test each year a Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP) for major computer applications/systems.
- Providing a common repository of information regarding configuration management on all hardware equipment within their infrastructure.
- Planning and coordinating non-emergency outages affecting service areas to include, but not limited to: creating timely notification of outages; maintaining physical security requirements and documents as deemed appropriate by IT management; and maintaining both physical and logical drawings of the processors, peripheral equipment, and their connectivity.
- Submitting and seeking approval for all IT related Configuration Change Proposals (CCP) with the appropriate OIT management personnel.
- Providing resource utilization and capacity planning support. Provide proactive monitoring and recommendations for server and server components (hardware and software) replacements, upgrades, and enhancements to prevent server services from falling below acceptable levels.
- System level operational understanding of Oracle database systems, SAS systems and MYSQL.
- Shell scripting experience (most Borne shell).
This position does not have supervisory duties.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
- BS in Computer Science, Information Systems or related technical discipline or equivalent experience in lieu of degree is required.
- Minimum of 6 years experience working in information technology server administration in a Linux/Unix environment.
Experience with Java Connection Pooling, ORACLE, Web Sphere Application Server, and APACHE Web Server. Familiarity with: server administration, installation, maintenance, repair and upgrades; system back-ups and restores; applications system administration; emergency preparedness; and disaster recovery and continuity of operations planning and execution.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations, Clearance:
- Qualified applicants must have National Agency Background Investigation and meet minimum qualifications for access t facilities and information.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
Computer Technologies Consultants, Inc - 17 months ago