As a Senior Accountant, you will perform a variety of complex analytical duties in support of the City’s (City of Colorado Springs) Financial Services Department. This department consists of the Accounting, Accounts Payable, Budget, Payroll and Pensions, and Sales Tax divisions.
As a member of the Financial Services team, you will perform complex professional accounting activities in compliance with applicable standards and specifications including general ledger reconciliation, financial reporting, and record keeping. You will review and analyze various records and reports and respond to complex inquiries or complaints. You will plan for and participate in the annual financial audit, provide information and supporting documentation to the auditors including answers to complex questions, and prepare the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for the City and its reporting entities. This position also requires that you reconcile and audit a variety of accounts, ledgers, and reports; examine and correct accounting transactions to ensure accuracy; and establish and maintain written procedures to ensure adequate internal controls over the centralized accounting functions.
You must possess strong analytical skills in the following areas: a) analyzing grant budgets to include setting up appropriate line items within the accounting system, b) analyzing and assisting departments with maximizing the utilization of grant funds, c) analyzing and reconciling various funds, and d) analyzing expenditures for capitalizing assets. Your duties will also involve the use of Microsoft Word, Access, and Excel.
Examples of Job Competencies
- Advanced methods and techniques of research, analysis, report preparation, and statistical and financial analysis
- Advanced principles and practices of fiscal record keeping and reporting
- Advanced principles of business mathematics
- Basic principles of contract compliance monitoring
- Operational characteristics, services, and activities of the City
- Principles and practices of governmental accounting
- Accurately tabulate, record, and balance assigned transactions
- Interpret, explain, and apply pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations as well as City policies and procedures
- Participate in budget development and administration activities as assigned
- Maintain a variety of financial records and files
- Operate a variety of computerized equipment including various software and mainframe programs including word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Prepare clear and concise administrative and financial reports
- Supervise, organize, and review the work of lower level staff as assigned
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Work independently and assist others in the absence of supervision
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, or a related field.
Three years of increasingly responsible accounting, analytical, and/or budgetary experience including experience specific to this position.
Experience with the PeopleSoft financial system. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Public Finance Officer (CFPO) designation.
Please visit www.springsgov.com on the Human Resources/City Jobs page to fill out an online application by clicking the City of Colorado Springs Job Openings – Apply Now button. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application will not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
The City application process does not allow uploading and attaching resumes or cover letters. Instead, supplemental information may be pasted into your application by clicking the "Edit Resume" link while creating or editing the application.
Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position's closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
To view the status of your application, go to www.springsgov.com >
; City Jobs > City of Colorado Springs Job Openings - Apply Now button. To learn more about the City of Colorado Springs, go to www.springsgov.com . Equal Opportunity Employer