Division: Strategic Crops
Function: Solutions Development
City: Midwestern cities, Omaha, Denver
State/Province: Nebraska [NE]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Crop Specialist (Corn) - NE or CO
Job ID: 3718
- The Crop Specialist will hold critical internal and external crop expertise across a range of agronomic and market conditions. This position retains a deep understanding regarding inputs that improve crop productivity, methods of creating efficiency and economic benefit for growers and channel partners, all of which are centered on Syngenta integrated strategies.
- The Crop Specialist will have deep knowledge of all applicable Syngenta products and technologies and how these can be applied.
- The position will both facilitate and lead the application of specific crop solutions, gaining customer insights, and also serve as the conduit for field-level generation of potential integrated solutions into their assigned Crop and Integrated Solutions Development Managers. The Crop Specialist position will actively participate in design, communication, and implementation of crop solutions for their assigned crop.
- Crop expertise delivered through this role will be customer centric, utilizing a coordinated approach through internal and external partners. This role is key to identifying, communicating, and stewarding positive, measurable technical attributes of our products and portfolio for each assigned crop market by providing technical guidance, collateral support, and facilitation of new product launches.
- Crop Specialist will own the development and delivery of Syngenta’s solution story (composed of Syngenta products, 3rd party technologies, agronomic expertise & services) for the assigned crop in their marketplace, as necessary for maximum demand and value creation.
Crop Specialists will reside locally aligned with the crop market for maximum impact and optimal coverage.
The role accountabilities for the assigned crop market will include the following six major areas: crop expertise / gaining customer insights, solution launch maximization, technical support, and collaboration at the farm-gate/internally/ externally, as detailed below:
1. Crop Expertise/ Insights: Through excellence of customer insights, provide full agronomic ideas / solutions, training and coaching for integrated strategies or regional / corp agronomic initiatives; not general training on agronomics.
- Actively works to understand current and near and mid-future products from Syngenta and how these can be applied to assure appropriate tool kit is available.
- Product & agronomic technical liaison between Sales Agronomy and Crop teams.
- Effectively communicate agronomic fit and benefits of our commercial and pre-commercial Syngenta branded offerings and integrated solutions.
- Work with customer marketing and sales agronomy to incorporate crop solutions into the campaign for assigned crop markets.
2. Solution development and launch maximization: Support new product and or production model launches.
- Coordinate participation in regulated, non regulated, and other various trials; not farmer plots which are done by Agronomic Service Representatives (ASRs), but earlier testing (pre commercialization) large scale plot strategy for new solutions executed through ASRs.
- Develop and implement the “Demonstration/Learning/Training Plot Strategy” for crop solutions.
- Work with portfolio management in crop to support portfolio life cycle staging and integrate staging strategy into solution plan.
3. Enabler of Sales Agronomy : to maximize grower return on investment and to position Syngenta for success within the assigned crop market.
- Collaboratively lead the development, design and assessment of crop local solution performance & value proof points.
- Work with ASR to develop plot strategies to drive solution demand.
- Interface between non-agronomic solutions and ASRs.
- Lead the education and materials development for the support of solution deployment.
4. Collaboration Internally: Partner with internal stakeholders to position Syngenta for success within the assigned crop market.
- Work with campaign and crop teams to deliver local Syngenta agronomic Solutions messaging.
- Supports the Campaign Plan and Go-To-Market Strategy with sales and customer marketing teams. Work with Crop Marketing and Product Management in identifying product growth & marketing opportunities for assigned geography.
- Recommend solutions and coordinate implementation of training and demonstration trials for both existing and new solutions in assigned geography.
- Identify and recommend product label expansion opportunities for assigned geography.
- Monitor product and solution recommendations in the field to drive resultsfor assigned geography and interface with Crop portfolio team to formulate ideas and review technical content for technical literature pieces.
- Collaborate with Solutions Development teams to develop and provide technical and competitive information for positioning grower agronomic solutions in the marketplace.
5. Collaboration externally: Partner with external stakeholders to position Syngenta for success within the assigned crop market.
- Develop and manage relationships with crop Centers Of Influence, as targeted.
- Influences Center of Influence, Crop Consultants and Farm Management regional personnel to ensure Syngenta is the partner of choice.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships, provides agronomic support that integrates Syngenta Solutions.
- Calibrates and activates local messaging for use at field days, training sessions and other local events in concert with marketing and communications.
- Acts as product and agronomic technical liaison.
- Provide technical contact and support for the value chain.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the crop, it’s production and critical agronomic and other inputs that enable maximization of yield and return on investment.
- Recognized as a Crop Specialist internally and externally.
- Understand grower decisions in input selection and other decisions that occur prior to planting, i.e. before the farm.
- Understand grower decisions used in production, i.e. on the farm.
- Understand grower decisions on harvested crop management, i.e. after the farm.
- Minimum 7-10 years experience working in the AG industry.
- Significant background and/or education in crop agronomy or related field.
- Well-rounded understanding of commercial, product development and supply management functions.
- Sound understanding of the seed industry, crop protection, seed care and on the farm activities.
- Sound understanding of crop agronomics and the financial drivers of a grower’s business.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Significant technical knowledge of crop product portfolio, product pipeline and product value propositions.
- Agronomic knowledge of farming best practices, seed technologies, crop protection inputs, etc.
- Customer-facing skills (e.g., manage relationship, build trust, offer support).
- Teaching / communication skills (e.g., ability to communicate highly technical information to customers and sales reps in a manner that is easily understandable).
- Demonstrated capability in agronomy excellence and applying capabilities to aiding the commercial operations and crop teams.
- Superior cross-functional communications skills excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Extensive agronomic industry background and experience preferred.
- Broad technical knowledge of the Company product portfolio and of the assigned crop markets.
- Ability to identify changes in the industry from a technology standpoint and make recommendations to minimize the potential impact of competitive biotech and generic products.
- Demonstrated knowledge of agronomic practices and crop protection chemicals is required.
- Effective networking capabilities.
- Syngenta Ambassador (can explain the business model, service platforms, product offerings, marketing programs, sister brands, etc.)
- Ability to identify and integrate channel products and services with SYT assets to create and deliver grower agronomic solutions.
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Performance Excellence: pursues stretch targets and achieves budget. Creates demand of SYT products and integrated offers.
- Change Orientation: successfully and positively identifies and implements new ideas through customer insights.
- Leadership Responsibilities: motivates and inspires across all levels of organization; communicates effectively.
- Organizational Effectiveness: pursues best practices.
- Strategic Ability: creates and shares vision.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Develop key networks and ways of working for this new role
- Effectively position role as the key crop expertise role in the company
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Employee may, as part of his/her role and maybe through multifunctional teams, participate in the creation and design of innovative solutions. In this context, Employee may contribute to inventions, designs, other work product, including know-how, copyrights, software, innovations, solutions, and other intellectual assets.
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...