CLINICAL REFERENCE LABORATORY
J O B D E S C R I P T I O N
JOB TITLE : Extraction Chemist JOB GRADE : LT-1
DEPARTMENT : Toxicology Confirmation REPORTS TO : Confirmation Supervisor
EEO Code : 2 Job Group : 2C Occupation Code : 172
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY : Perform duties related to sample extraction with strict adherence to departmental extraction bench procedures; work in compliance to departmental safety requirements consistent with good laboratory practices.
Other duties as assigned
- Receive and separate samples; verify proper chain of custody, prioritize re-preps, determine prep dilutions, create batch worksheet and labels, extract samples for drugs of abuse.
- Monitor, maintain, calibrate, and record needed data on equipment; balance calibration, record temperature of heat blocks, record freezer temperature, clean and maintain extraction manifolds, use of temperature monitoring system
- Proper material labeling, pipetting of controls and samples, derivitization of sample, transfer and enter sequences onto designated instruments for analysis, loading of sample extracts on to instruments
- Maintain and distribute supplies; preparing reagents, re-filling stock bottles, re-furbishing materials needed for extractions, keep work area neat and clean, following departmental clean up procedures in disposal of hazardous chemicals and extraction waste.
- Comply with safety regulations; proper use and handling of equipment and materials
- Read and follow laboratory SOP’s.
- Meet qualitative and quantitative production goals of the department
- Monitor pass-through, request samples as needed
- Communicate with department members to ensure maximum production
- Notify QA/QC of low reagents
- Notify management of needed supplies
- Maintain and protect confidentiality of all CRL and client information
- Be able to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local safety and health regulations that would apply to this job.
- Review pending lists daily
- Prioritize and assign batches as needed
- Training: train new extraction chemists according to training documents; complete training documents; submit documents to management; file documents when complete; maintain training books
- Ensure waste has been dumped, and areas clean
- Ensure reagent bottles and extraction supplies are refurbished
- Monitor documentation of the use/cleaning of small equipment
- Ensure new controls taken out have been initialed and dated
- denotes essential job function
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in a chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science, or medical technology from an accredited institution.
EXPERIENCE: Previous laboratory experience. Familiarity with extraction preferred.
SKILLS & ABILITIES: Good communication skills; strong organizational skills; ability to work under time constraints; good laboratory technique; detail oriented; good judgment and decision making; able to follow instructions precisely.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Constant moving around laboratory area; lifting up to 25 lbs.
EQUIPMENT: Centrifuge; shaker/rotator; heating block; dishwasher; pH meter; analytical balance; various automated instruments; pipette; lab coat; gloves; gas cylinders; 300º C furnace; computer terminal; PC; vacuum extraction apparatus; evaporator; pneumatic crimper; gas chromatograph; mass spectrometer.
OTHER: Overtime as necessary; weekend work is required; specimens consist of body fluids & must be regarded as potentially infectious; exposure to caustics, flammables, solvents, carcinogens, and reactive compounds
Clinical Reference Laboratory - 17 months ago