NOTICE OF JOB OPENING
September 6, 2013
Please post or otherwise make available the following information. The City of Nampa Recreation Center is accepting applications for a part-time Group Fitness Instructor.
The City of Nampa is committed to ensuring equal opportunities to all individuals. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact the Human Resource Director at 468-5437. TDD Relay Service: US West 1-800-377-3529 or 7-1-1.
Salary : $16.00 per hour, DOE, no benefits.
Hours: Part time 4 hours per week; varied schedule may include early mornings, evenings and weekends.
The principal function of an employee in this class is to develop and implement group fitness programming. The work is performed under the supervision and direction of the Group Fitness Supervisor, but considerable leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with the assigned supervisor, other City employees, community and neighborhood organizations, and the general public. The principal duties of this class are performed in a health and fitness environment.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
1. Plans and leads, group fitness classes as scheduled;
2. Maintains a safe environment for group fitness training including providing information, demonstration and assistance to patrons regarding proper exercise techniques and including inspecting equipment for damage;
3. Secures substitutes for scheduled classes when unable to cover;
4. Maintains accurate records of equipment issues updating equipment log as necessary;
5. Promotes special events for patrons and community members, including developing and implementing special incentive events when necessary;
6. Performs the duties required in the absence of the assigned supervisor when necessary;
7. Accurately documents class attendance numbers on a regular basis;
8. Responds to patrons questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner;
9. Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities;
10. Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.
ESSENTIAL RELATIONSHIP EXPECTATIONS
1. Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
2. Responds to patrons’ questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
3. Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities.
4. Is punctual and timely in meeting requirements of performance, including attendance standards and work deadlines.
5. Communicates information and states concerns in a clear and professional manner.
6. Respects the opinion of others and demonstrates a reasonable relationship with employees, supervisors and others.
7. Accepts and performs in a timely and effective manner changes in work assignments and/or how work is performed
8. Assumes responsibility for other duties as required or assigned.
a. Attends meetings, conferences, workshops, and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on principles, practices, and new developments in assigned work areas.
b. Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees in the same or similar class of positions.
General knowledge of safety principles, current practices and equipment related to the program or class to which assigned.
General knowledge of principles for dealing with people of various ages and from various socio-economic groups.
General knowledge of human anatomy and physiological function as it relates to specific programs and classes.
Physical ability to instruct a 1 to 1 ½ hour long exercise class.
Ability to plan and instruct safe, motivating and effective group exercise programs or classes.
Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with those contacted in the course of work.
Ability to use initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
General ability to understand and apply music phrasing.
Nationally recognized group exercise or aquatic exercise certification required (or ability to complete within 6 months of hiring).
First-Aid certification is highly recommended.
Specialty certifications required for Zumba, Yoga, Cycle, Pilates (others as deemed necessary by national organizations)
Group Fitness certification or the ability to acquire certification within six (6) months of hire.
Some Group Fitness instruction experience desired or any combination of knowledge and experience or willingness to become trained.
Sufficient finger or manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to operate a personal computer, telephone and related equipment and efficiently operate a two-way radio and use required meter reading devices.
Sufficient clarity of speech or other communication ability with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to communicate effectively and convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly or quickly.
Sufficient clarity of hearing with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
Sufficient visual acuity or other power of observation with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to perform such tasks related to the job.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH AND PERSONAL MOBILITY:
Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to perform the work in a recreational facilities environment.
Heavy work - exerts up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently.
Special Conditions : The City of Nampa has a Drug/Alcohol Free Workplace Policy. Any offer of employment is contingent upon passing a pre-employment drug test, background check and driving check.
Dates to Submit Application : Applicant must submit an online application; resumes will not be taken in lieu of the application. Position information and online application may be found online at: www.cityofnampa.us . Applicant may apply online until 5:00 P.M., October 6, 2013 .
Position may close prior to closing date.
The City of Nampa is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
City of Nampa - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard