The Campus Dean serves as Senior Academic Officer at a designated Strayer University campus location and is responsible for ensuring academic quality at that campus in cooperation with the Campus Director. Operates with significant autonomy to maintain an academic atmosphere conducive to best in class staffing and learning. Ensures and assesses student learning, improves graduation rates, schedules and staffs courses every quarter, and resolves faculty and student concerns.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• With the Campus Director, shares overall management responsibility for the campus to create an environment supportive of a quality educational experience as well as creates and maintains a campus culture that ensures the campus achieves all quarterly goals.
• Actively supports all campus new student enrollment and continuing student retention efforts as well as collaborates with all campus departments as necessary to promote student success and achieve campus objectives.
• Ensures compliance with academic policies, procedures and standards including specific state regulations.
• Ensures compliance with current Strayer University Faculty and Staff Handbook, Strayer University Student Handbook, and Strayer University Information Technology policies as listed in StrayerNow.
• Ensures staff compliance with applicable University-wide required training
• Teaches one course each quarter and is present on campus at least two evenings per week to observe faculty, advise students, and verify academic quality.
• Achieves expected student learning outcomes by, among other things, auditing course syllabi, reviewing course learning assessment tools, and ensuring instructional quality.
• Selects, assigns and mentors faculty consistent with the University’s Faculty Hiring Procedures including assuring their successful completion of teaching demonstrations and new faculty orientations.
• Screens, interviews, hires and evaluates other academic campus-level staff (Academic Assistant, LRC Manager) and ensures they are aware of performance expectations in the appropriate areas of responsibility.
• Evaluates the performance of each full-time faculty, adjunct faculty, and academic staff each year.
• Addresses issues related to faculty and staff performance, student behavior, and campus operations immediately as they occur.
• Holds full-time faculty and Associate Campus Dean accountable for teaching schedule and additional campus hours as specified in the faculty contract.
• Conducts, reviews and discusses student evaluations (Student Opinion Poll course data), as well as class observation data, with faculty each quarter to improve teaching and other aspects of performance.
• Implements the University’s faculty development program by, among other things, providing information on the availability of professional growth and development funds, procedures to be followed by faculty in requesting such funds, participation in professional associations, and the development, execution and evaluation of professional development plans.
• Builds a cohesive professional community at the campus by, among other things, holding quarterly meetings of full-and part-time faculty, disseminating information from the University administration to the faculty and staff and vice versa, communicating resource needs to appropriate authorities, and encouraging the participation of faculty and academic staff in university activities and programs.
• Manages academic advising, student tutoring in basic subjects, developmental math and English, and other educational support programs and services.
• Conducts effective new student orientations, including introduction to online learning, to familiarize adult learners with University policies, procedures, and services.
• Ensures timely program completion by collaboratively scheduling classes when students need them, sharing faculty with other campuses and Strayer University Online, and creating and maintaining annual campus class schedules at all times.
• Manages the advising, tutoring, and class count budgets within expected limits.
• Manages the campus Learning Resource Center to achieve its information literacy and career development objectives.
• Manages the campus computer labs to assure effective student learning and operations.
• Provides ongoing assistance and support to campus-based students enrolled in online classes.
• Tracks and improves campus cohort graduation rates.
• Participates in the ongoing assessment of university programs and services.
• A terminal degree is required.
• A broad educational background with at least one year teaching experience at the college level; and at least one quarter of teaching for Strayer University
• At least three years’ administrative experience in mid to senior level academic management position is required.
• Ability to promote academic quality
• Ability to lead under pressure with integrity and follow through on details
• Ability to manage people, processes and projects
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent problem solving ability
• Demonstrated successful managerial experience, including the ability to train and mentor campus Faculty members.
• Understanding of higher education administration
• Strong instructional skills including online-based instruction
• Proficient computer skills to include Blackboard, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint required
• Experience with student or customer information/management systems preferred.
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills to interpret and act on various management reports.
• Demonstrated ability to identify and develop talent for future leadership roles.
• Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to convey key messages clearly and concisely to campus staff and students.
If you are seeking a growing organization where you can use your talents to help others achieve their goals, join Strayer University. We offer a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including a 90% tuition discount and significant career growth opportunities.
Strayer University - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard
Strayer University makes it possible to go back to school while holding down a job. Focusing on providing higher education programs for...