To develop and direct the marketing and promotions program for varsity athletics including event promotion, event presentation, promotion of ticket sales, and corporate sponsorship fulfillment for revenue sports and select non-revenue sports.
Skills & Knowledge
• Demonstrated experience with, and commitment to, meeting the needs of, and interacting with, a diverse campus community.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong planning, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
• Skill in the development of promotional materials and activities.
• Skill in the use of computer software including Word, Excel, FileMaker Pro, and graphic programs including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of social and new media.
• A valid driver’s license is required.
Four years of relevant athletic marketing experience, or the equivalent.
Supervisory experience preferred
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Athletics Administration, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Master’s degree preferred.
Regular Full Time
Department Contact for Cover Letter
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
1) Event Promotion
• Conducts advertising campaigns for ticketed athletic events through cash/trade negotiations with local/regional newspaper, television, and radio outlets.
• Produces promotional materials including schedule cards and posters for a variety of sports.
• Creates and coordinates promotional activities aimed at the community, youth recreation programs, schools, businesses, general public, students, and employees, including occasional fan buses to away games.
• Coordinates student-focused promotions and activities, and collaborates with campus colleagues on strategies and events to promote student attendance at home events.
• Identifies, establishes and executes best practices for the integration of social, digital and other new media into the promotion of our teams and events.
• Markets and manages Youth Fan Club activities, including brochure, mailings, events and fan club database.
2) Budget and Planning
• Works with the Associate Athletic Director for External Relations and the Director of Financial
Operations for Athletics to develop and execute the marketing and promotions operating budget.
• Provides annual reports on revenue and expense projections and results.
• Establishes program goals and objectives in consultation with other administrators and coaches.
• Develops annual marketing plans for revenue sports, including strategies for advertising, promotional materials and activities and other creative efforts to increase attendance and ticket sales.
• Hires, trains, and supervises a 9-month intern, 4-7 student event workers, and any volunteers.
4) Event Presentation
• Coordinates creative game-day promotions including half-time/intermission activities; makes arrangements with the Facilities and Operations office for set-up and other needs.
• Serves as liaison with food/beverage vendors (Dartmouth Dining and outside vendors), merchandise vendors (including online vendors), parking shuttle provider, student band, and other student performance groups to assure efficient operations, publicity, and scheduling.
• Writes public address and message board scripts.
• Coordinates playing of recorded music during play stoppages in appropriate venues.
• Serves as Event Manager as required.
5) Ticket Sales
• Works collaboratively with the ticket and business offices in analyzing past sales performance and determining pricing strategies and creative ticketing packages (groups, youths, and employees) to increase attendance and maximize revenues.
• Creates and distributes season ticket brochures for revenue sports.
• Promotes group ticket sales with local businesses, schools, and other community organizations.
6) Corporate Sponsor Fulfillment
• Helps determine sponsor recognition inventory (venue signage, event/promotion sponsorships, message board announcements, receptions, tickets, etc.) within IRS , College, and departmental parameters.
• Assists the Associate Athletic Director for External Relations with the identification and cultivation of potential new sponsors.
• Coordinates production and installation of corporate sponsorship venue signage.
• Schedules corporate sponsor receptions and coordinates catering and other arrangements.
• Ensures recognition of sponsors for in-game promotional activities.
• Coordinates message board announcements, radio ad references, and event sponsorships.
• Ensures fulfillment of all other elements of corporate sponsorship agreements, including tournament sponsorships.