Information Technology is rebooting the workforce one computer, one operating system, one associate at a time. From developing new tools and implementing standards-based applications to managing Garmin servers, email and phone systems, the team uses industry-standard technologies but also creates customized programs to meet the company’s needs. At Garmin, IT teams are comprised of associates who share the same passion about what they do every day.
We offer a relaxed team environment where advancement is found from sharing knowledge, not hiding it! While we promise you a lot of responsibility, you also will have the opportunity to have ownership over projects…oh, and we promise you there will be some fun mixed in there, too!
Not only is Garmin the leader in all-things GPS, but, if selected as a Project Manager / Program Coordinator you’ll be the leader of multiple projects and/or programs, driving accountability of project teams, facilitating design decisions and successfully delivering projects on-time. Our program coordinators use their knowledge of complex business processes to keep everything in their project portfolio flowing. If organization and leading are your strong points, we need to coordinate a meeting.
We are looking for a full time Project Manager/Program Coordinator for our team in Olathe, KS.
In this role, you’ll coordinate activities and lead projects focused on continuous improvement of IT Service Delivery, including those focused on further development of Garmin IT’s Project Management Processes. You’ll work closely with the IT teams and internal Garmin teams to manage the suite of high-priority IT projects from within Garmin’s business, and those projects focused on internal improvements within IT and act as a partner and advocate / liaison and escalation point for key departments inside of Garmin, and their interactions with IT.
Other key responsibilities include:
IT Project Manager/Program Coordinators may also attend and actively participate in department and facility meetings and classes and actively participates in and encourages others to utilize creative and innovative approaches to accomplish tasks.
- Monitor, track and report progress of high-priority projects with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Manage expectations of key stakeholders in high-priority projects
- Develop processes that effectively capture and address key issues for the stakeholders
- Develop and document effective processes / methods for the project and portfolio management of key initiatives
- Work across all IT department managers, other project analysts, application analysts and users to design solutions that meet or exceed project requirements
- Exercises a significant degree of leadership to projects and programs bearing directly on organizations objectives
- Delivers written and verbal project status and summary information to all levels of the business including the executive level.
- Identifies interdependencies in projects across the department and serves as a go to person for project management guidance
- Tracks multiple details across customers and IT departments with very good and thorough follow-up skills.
A Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Business or another relevant field with outstanding academics AND a minimum of 9 years relevant experience OR a Master of Science Degree in one of the fields noted above with outstanding academics AND a minimum of 7 years relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience is required for this role.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate mastery of Garmin specific project management principles and industry standards and possess demonstrated experience in coordinating a portfolio of multiple projects and successful implementation of those technology solutions.
Demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills in a large team or departmental setting, knowledge of analysis, design and configuration of complex systems, and strong problem solving and project management abilities with a proven track record of project delivery – including the coordination and management of projects in a dynamic, fast paced environment are other key requirements.
Qualified candidates will also possess these skills and experiences:
Candidates with demonstrated experience successfully coordinating teams and multiple projects in a matrix environment are preferred.
- Understanding and ability to communicate key Engineering /product development. business processes
- Demonstrates professional maturity through giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Demonstrates self-drive and capacity to complete broadly defined objectives
- Demonstrates the ability to take conceptual ideas and reduce them to pragmatic practice
Other desirable qualifications include:
Experience with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), Payment Card Industry (PCI), Information Technology Information Library (ITIL), or other regulatory issues
- Demonstrated experience managing very large and complex projects across multiple teams and stakeholders
At Garmin, we like to laugh, have fun and work hard. It comes easily when you work on cool products with hard-working individuals who share the same passion. We offer numerous opportunities to get involved and believe strongly in a work-life balance so your creativity can flow.
- Certification in a nationally accredited project management discipline and/or continuous improvement methods (i.e., PMI, PMP, Agile/Scrum, Six Sigma, Unified Rational, etc.) is preferred.
- Experience as an IT project analyst / project manager.
Garmin offers one of the most comprehensive compensation and benefit plans around. We offer extensive health care coverage with little to no contributions, depending on the plan. Plus, we offer company-paid dental insurance, stock options, a 401k plan, a pension plan….trust us, it doesn’t get much better than this. Unless of course, you want to talk table tennis, fitness spaces, product discounts….come on, what are you waiting for? Apply today.
Garmin - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
"Dreaming big and obsessing about the details.” It’s a dynamic philosophy that has taken Garmin from a start-up GPS...