Reporting to the University Librarian, the Associate University Librarian for Administrative Services provides vision, leadership, and strategic direction for all library operational services including human resources, facilities, security, communications, and delivery. Provides comprehensive management for new system-wide initiatives and programs, including major facilities projects. Oversees the strategic planning process for the library system. Works with the University Librarian to ensure continuous process improvement and operational excellence. Collaborates on the long-range planning, policy formulation, program development, and resource allocation that support the services and organization of the Yale University Libraries. Provides consultative direction to the YUL’s financial team. Responsible for building and managing a team of administrative service professionals. Connects YUL and the University’s administrative services and ensures strategic alignment. Department URL Address: Click here for more information Principal Responsibilities 1. Serves as an active member of the Library’s senior leadership team. Supports, and when appropriate, drives YUL’s process for strategic planning with key stakeholders. Provides vision, leadership, and direct administrative oversight of assigned YUL departments.
2. Prioritizes and leads multiple projects while meeting deadlines and budget targets. Ensures overall effectiveness of YUL services and strengthens the impact of YUL on the University’s academic mission.
3. Contributes at the national level, recognizes library trends and opportunities, and uses this knowledge to enrich local programs and strategic planning. Represents YUL at local, regional, national and international levels.
4. Chairs library committees as necessary. Participates in University-wide initiatives. Serves as a sponsor for labor management programs.
5. Partakes in the planning and implementation of changes in YUL’s operations and ensures procedures are followed that promote smooth, effective and efficient operation of YUL departments.
6. Effectively represents YUL needs, opportunities and impact at the University level.
7. May perform other duties as assigned. Required Education and Experience Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited library school or a post-graduate degree in a related field.
Ten years of progressively responsible experience, five of which should be in a leadership role in an academic or research library or similar institution. Required Skill/Ability 1: Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrable interpersonal, analytical, and project management skills. Required Skill/Ability 2: Demonstrated understanding and success managing human resources, facilities, and/or safety and security units. Ability to conceptualize, articulate, and deliver long- and short-range goals and participate in strategic planning in a very dynamic environment. Required Skill/Ability 3: Excellent management skills with a strong commitment to fostering growth and development of others. Demonstrated skills managing staff in the delivery of user-centered services. Required Skill/Ability 4: Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with staff, students, faculty, and senior administrators in developing productive partnerships on campus and across institutions. Required Skill/Ability 5: Demonstrated capacity for exercising leadership on a national and international scale. Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: 1. Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree.
2. Formal project management training.
3. Experience in a labor union environment.
4. Financial management experience.
5. Grant development and management experience.
6. Contract and license negotiation experience.
7. Long-range facility planning experience. Weekend Hours Required? No Evening Hours Required? No Drug Screen No Health Screening No Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. Internal candidates may be subject to a motor vehicle or credit check for this position based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process. Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the...