CA Technologies provides IT management solutions that help customers manage and secure complex IT environments to support agile business services. Organizations of all sizes leverage CA Technologies software and SaaS solutions to accelerate innovation, transform infrastructure and secure data and identities, from the data center to the cloud.
This position is responsible for maintaining in-depth understanding of current and future state in-house information systems, enterprise infrastructure and enterprise applications.
Any of the above may also occur as part of an off-hours escalation as part of a pager-rotation shift or an emergency.
- Provide service to CA by providing proactive knowledge and acting as an escalation point for Engineering, Service Support, and Service Delivery.
- Drive innovation in engineering knowledge, practices, or procedures by testing and adopting new solutions and methods.
- Independently manage approved medium and large scale projects that align towards corporate and departmental goals.
- Seek out and embraces opportunities to be CA's first and best product customer, partner, and collaborator.
- Conduct research on emerging technologies in support of systems development efforts.
- Create, validate and maintain architectural designs to ensure their functionality.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for administration, usage, and disaster recovery.
- Conduct research on IT products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the enterprise infrastructure industry.
- Execute proof of concept tactical plans. Confer with end-users, clients, or business owners to define business requirements for complex systems and infrastructure development.
- Develop and execute test plans to check infrastructure and systems technical performance. Report on findings and make recommendations for improvement.
- Collaborate with executive management and department leaders to assess near- and long-term IT capacity needs.
- Oversee new and existing equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.
- Determine methods and procedures on new projects and may supervise the activities of Sr Infrastructure Engineers, Infrastructure Engineers, Associate Infrastructure Engineers and other staff to ensure proposed changes effectively achieve desired enhancements and optimization while maintaining standards and base functionality.
Typical Role Definition
Sr Professional Staff. A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization. Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways. Complete understanding and wide application of principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines. Strong competence with the various tools, procedures, programming languages used to accomplish the job. Usually works with minimal supervision, conferring with a supervisor on unusual matters. May be assisted by (and at times direct) less senior level employees. Requires daily decision-making capabilities and actions that may not be reviewed by superiors. Assignments are broad in nature and need ingenuity and originality to solve. Contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. May assist more junior staff members with aspects of their job. Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. May play a role in high-level projects that have an impact on the company’s future direction.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope
Business Travel and Physical Demands
Business travel of approximately 25 percent yearly is expected for this position.
- Generally works without consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Examples of typical decisions without manager consultation:
- Empowered to make decisions on final engineering design.
- Expected to decide on how to handle, escalate, and/or contain systems or communications failures.
- Use good judgment in regards of escalating issues of sensitivity to management for guidance.
- Typically has no direct reports.
- Typically has no total staff.
- Typically has a global geographic focus.
- Typically does not manage a budget.
- Other scope factors include:
- Handle complex problems that arise in everyday work.
- Effectively prioritize work to make best use of resources.
- Modify access or mandate changes to or from networks, systems, application and users as required by the current situational awareness. Implement solutions, applications, and technologies using existing procedures, methodologies, and policies.
- Office environment. No special physical demands required.
Bachelor's Degree or global equivalent in Computer Science or a related field.
Typically 7 or more years of experience working in a large heterogeneous enterprise environment. Typically 10 or more years of experience in IT with focus on IT procedure and process documentation and execution.
Skills & Competencies
- Proven experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software and hardware solutions, systems, or products.
- Expert knowledge of multiple programming languages and extensive experience in application integration.
- A Principal Engineer should be a multi-technology discipline expert with in depth experience an implementing projects on a global scale.
- Understanding of the organization's goals and objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Self motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Project management experience desired.
- Strong technical documentation skills.
- CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCVP, CCIE – for Cisco
- MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCSE – Microsoft
- Vmware – VCP (Vmware Certified Professional), VMDX (Vmware Certified Design Expert)
- EMCST, EMCSA, EMCTA, EMCCE, EMCIE for EMC
- Vendor Neutral Storage Certs SCSP, SCSE, SCSA, SCSNE
- RHCE, RHCT for Redhat
- SCLE, SCLM for Suse
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual - recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it - then CA Technologies is where you belong.
At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you’ll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
We offer competitive salary, company-sponsored premium Medical/Prescription & Dental Plans, company-paid Holidays, Vacation, Personal, Anniversary Service and Sick Days, 401(k) Plan, Education/Training Reimbursement, Charitable Gift Program, Adoption Assistance Program, and Veterinary Care Insurance.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
CA Technologies and all of its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. As such, it is our corporate policy to fill positions with qualified candidates regardless of the candidate’s race, color, sex, age, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, military status, veteran status or any other protected group status.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies : CA Technologies does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any CA Technologies employee. CA Technologies will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of CA Technologies and will be processed accordingly.
CA Technologies - 18 months ago
CA Technologies provides IT management solutions that help customers manage and secure complex IT environments to support agile business...