EchoStar is a billion dollar company with over 5,000 employees worldwide and more than 25 years of experience designing, developing and distributing award-winning television set-top boxes, services and related delivery products for television. EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) is a premier global provider of satellite operations and digital TV solutions that enhance today's home entertainment lifestyle. It’s wholly owned subsidiary, Hughes , is the world's leading provider of satellite broadband for home and office, delivering innovative network technologies and managed network services for enterprises and governments in more than 100 countries.
Among the many offerings of this combined powerhouse in broadband data and video are HughesNet ®, the market's #1 high-speed satellite Internet service; Sling Media's award-winning SlingLoaded ® technology; Move Networks' adaptive bit-rate streaming technology; and Troppus’ software suite that combines a Client Application, an Agent Application and a powerful Semantic Knowledge Management System and Blockbuster Digital.
This requisition will be used to establish an inventory of applicants for SQM Engineer in the Earthstation Operations Department.
Performs numerous Signal Quality Monitoring (SQM) tasks that include alarm/discrepancy identification/isolation analysis from a control room for remote transmission systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs numerous Signal Quality Monitoring (SQM) tasks that include alarm/discrepancy identification/isolation analysis from a control room for remote transmission systems across the space segment of EchoStar satellite bandwidth; to include Monitor & Control (M&C) terminals, Remote Signal Strength Monitor (RSSM) terminals, DBSPID analysis clients, local and remote spectrum analyzers and Digital Signal Processor (DSP)system/devices to assure product quality and discrepancy resolution to optimum parameters.
The scope of this job includes fabrication, installation, maintenance/repair and engineering analysis of the radio-frequency (RF) equipment used in large scale downlink and uplink operations serves as SME technical resource for the department. Incumbent will also be required to be on 24 hour call.
Duties will include, but not be limited to the following:
Skills and Abilities:
- Analyzes small to large scale satellite space segment systems/equipment, components, monitoring instruments, and products
- Serves as a primary resource for analysis console, Tier 3 technical support for EchoStar Broadcast Services on all aspects of 24x7 operations monitoring, training, project management, and collateral duties.
- Plans and implements research methodology and procedures related to engineering projects and/or Operations & Maintenance tasks.
- Prepares and analyzes technical drawings, specifications, and databases to ensure installations, maintenance and operations conform to established standards and department requirements.
- Performs detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing, installation and maintenance standards, trends and specifications.
- Coordinates manufacturing, installation, maintenance, and testing activities to ensure compliance with specifications, procedures and department requirements.
- May be required to manage shift workload for technical control in the absence or in lieu of shift supervision. May serve as shift supervisor for SQM Team as necessary.
Education / Experience and Certifications: BSEE or related technical discipline accompanied by 2-5 years related experience in an Earth Stations Operations environment, which included one or more of the following: Earth Station design, systems troubleshooting, tests and manufacture, installation and repair of electrical equipment components or systems. Ideal candidates will possess at least one of the following: AutoCAD 3D certification, Fiber Optic Splicing certification, Electronic Soldering certification(s), G/T and Link Budget Certification.
- Substantial knowledge of Earth Station Operations and Maintenance Requirements to include signal origination (modem & modulation) themes technologies.
- Ability to work with and apply mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, space segment link budget calculations, G/T analysis projections and EIRP parameters.
- Excellent written communication skills, including procedure documentation or reports, as well as development of technical drawings. Able to exercise effective verbal communication skills with both technical and non-technical personnel.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
EchoStar - 19 months ago
EchoStar provides satellite services for video transport and digital cinema distribution. Whether delivering multichannel digital services...