Title: Technical Team Lead/ Senior Unix Systems Administrator
Location: Langley AFB, Virginia
Citizenship requirement: US Citizen
Req #: 1207
This position will supervise a team of 6 Systems Administrators (SAs) who are responsible for supporting NASA Langley Research Center’s data center server hardware and software infrastructure. The data center contains approximately 50 physical servers running Solaris, Red Hat, Ubuntu, and Windows, along with multiple virtual systems in a complex and interconnected environment.
The candidate will work with the data center clients to design and support activities such as: architecture changes, software and hardware migrations / upgrades / end-of-life, IT security compliance reviews, process automation, tools / technologies that will maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
The successful candidate must be a leader who can effectively communicate, manage projects, work with multiple stakeholders, and identify/manage/resolve issues within a fast-paced and dynamic operational environment.
The candidate will be responsible for reviewing and managing the SAs’ workload for projects, routine maintenance, and support tickets to ensure correct prioritization and appropriate progress is being made along with updates to the central documentation repository. The candidate will conduct weekly meetings with team and clients to review status at an in-depth level as well as ad-hoc meetings to review/discuss specific technical or project issues.
In addition, the candidate will have a working role as a senior SA and be responsible for hands-on maintenance of the Unix environment to include:
- Install, configure, test, and troubleshoot Solaris, Red Hat, Ubuntu systems
- Create, optimize, and maintain virtual environments VMWare and zone/container technologies
- Configure and administer ZFS file system
- Support Solaris trusted extensions
- Manage and monitor SAN environment
- Architect and pro-actively monitor systems for high availability and optimized performance
- Conduct root cause analysis and remediate
- Patch systems during regular monthly cycle or as required
- Resolve support tickets; update ticket system and central documentation Wiki
- Monitor and manage backup and restore process
- Perform account administration.
Craig Technologies is an EEO Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.
- Ten plus (10+) years of hands-on technical experience in an enterprise environment to include:
- Strong background in installing, configuring, administering, and managing Solaris and RedHat servers to include resource management and Solaris ZFS file system configuration and administration
- Solid experience in installing, configuring, administering, and managing virtualized environments to include VMware and ESXi as w3ell as zone/container technologies
- Familiarity with SSH and key-based exchanges
- Familiarity with Solaris Live Upgrade
- Scripting skills in at least one of the following languages: Perl, Ruby, PHP or one of the standard shells sh, bash, ksh
- Working knowledge of basic Unix services and protocols such as DNS, DHCP, NFS, SMTP, etc.
- Experience with the implementation of practical IT security techniques, controls, and countermeasures as well as system security monitoring
- Technical team leadership experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/related field or relevant experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
***All candidates selected will be subject to a security background investigation and must meet all eligibility requirements for access to classified information. ***