Job Title: Operations Supervisor (ODS) Date: March 2013
Department: Operations Status: Exempt
Reports to: Operations Manager Req #: 17645
Location: Houston, Texas
EMPLOYEES SUPERVISED: All ambulance field operations staff on duty in the coverage area.
JOB SUMMARY: Direct responsibility for day-to-day operations of all field staff assigned in Houston & surrounding counties. This includes facilitation of internal communication between field staff and management, outside agency interface, system status monitoring, facilitating short-term scheduling needs, equipment and supply maintenance, working in the field as needed, as well as other operational support functions as assigned by the Operations Manager.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct supervision, coordination, monitoring, communicating with and evaluation of all field employees assigned to jurisdiction
- Liaison with patients, public safety agencies, training institutions, hospital personnel, and other customers.
- Maintain daily shift logs of significant events and information that occurs during assigned shift. Facilitate pass down of this information to the next shift &/or receive it from the previous shift.
- Prepare employee corrective action, recognition, evaluations and field crew contact reports.
- Ensure 100% of operational response exceptions are brought to closure with appropriate action.
- Provide staff counseling and guidance and information regarding AMR operations.
- Promptly investigates incidents involving assigned units or personnel, including, filing of internal and external reports, and counseling staff. Reviews and acts upon, as necessary, all incidents, accident, deviation/exception, and other reports forwarded from the field or Communications/Dispatch Center. Checks reports for accuracy, completeness, and competence.
- Ensure maintenance of adequate levels of staffing, equipment and medical supplies for field units.
- Ensures proper performance of vehicles and equipment by arranging repairs and preventative maintenance (in the absence of designated maintenance personnel).
- Implement and enforce company policies and standards.
- Perform patient care at personal certification level.
- Responds to ambulance calls as needed. Routinely responds to calls where unusual or extraordinary circumstances exist.
- Serve on committees with other departments to set policies and generate ideas.
- Prepare reports and manages projects as assigned by Operations Manager.
- Attend scheduled meetings as required by superiors.
- Responsible for complying with all local, state, and federal employment laws and company policies. (i.e., Americans with Disability Act, Affirmative Action Plan, etc.)
- Ensures that assigned personnel are fully informed of company policies, local procedures and other information pertinent to operations.
- Makes work assignments with available personnel. Monitors and modifies current schedule by staffing to meet the needs of the company.
- Works cooperatively with the Communications & Business Development to ensure that problem or complicated calls are handled properly.
- Performs corollary duties, within reason, at the direction of superiors.
- State license/certification as Paramedic. State certification must remain current.
- Minimum of six (6) months field experience with AMR.
- Must be available for recall 24 hours a day for emergency situations.
- Must be flexible in work schedule to meet the demands of the company.
- Must attend scheduled and called meetings.
- College degree in related field preferred (Bachelor or Associate Degree), or three (3) year's experience as EMT-P or five (5) year’s experience as an EMT-Basic.
- Valid state driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of clinical skills in prehospital advanced life support as an EMT or Paramedic depending on current state license/certification. State license/certification must remain active.
- Ability to exercise discretionary authority (within given limits) with logic and consistency.
- Ability to objectively and accurately evaluate performance of others assigned to their shift.
- Knowledge of local, regional, and state laws, rules and regulations pertaining to EMS and ambulance operations.
- Ability to delegate effectively.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to administer discipline effectively to achieve a desired result.
- Counseling skill...Helping employees recognize and understand company and personal needs, values, problems, alternatives, and goals.
- Industry understanding...Knowing the key concepts and variables that define the ambulance industry (e.g., critical issues, economic vulnerabilities, measurements, information sources).
- Relationship versatility...Adjusting behavior to establish relationships across a broad range of people and groups.
- Records and data management skill...Writing good reports and records data in an efficient and easily retrievable form.
- Able to serve as an effective role model for subordinates.
- Negotiation skill...Securing win-win agreements while successfully representing a special interest in a decision situation.
- Knowledge of vehicle and equipment maintenance.
- Ability to gain respect from others rather than demanding it.
- Ability to adapt to different styles, ideas and changes.
- Ability to minimize stress on their shift by identifying problems before they occur and effectively dealing with stressful situations that do occur.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear.
- Capable of driving a vehicle.
- The employee frequently is required to stand and walk.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to meet physical requirements of EMT & Paramedic
- Employee is required to handle emergency situations. Employee must be prepared to direct emergency situations that arise without warning.
- Occasional overnight travel required.
- Other duties as assigned.
EmCare - 2 years ago
EmCare is a leading physician services organization with nearly 1,000 locations at hospitals from coast to coast. We have become a leader in...