Under direct supervision, will work on a ground- up opportunity in the North American Data Centers. It will require performance of a wide spectrum of complex assignments requiring alternative analysis, innovation and judgment that will define resource management of this site. Individual will perform tasks associated with all phases of the customer experience, sales process, installation, maintenance, and testing/troubleshooting of a variety of Telecommunication equipment in a Data Center environment. Individual will also manage third party building provided services, including the critical infrastructure feeds, contractors associated with direct support of our activities, and managing/maintaining 24 hour support. Individual will own various aspects of daily Data Center operations, require coordination with local Field Operations resources regarding area wide operations, secondary/backup support, and will report to remote Management. Individual must exhibit flexibility, innovation and judgment as this product develops and this site expands. The customer experience aspect of this role is extremely important and will be a major emphasis of this job function.
Education and Experience
- Interacts with different internal organizations, customers, vendors, contractors, and building management to provide the highest level of customer satisfaction.
- Installs, provisions, tests, and maintains DS0 to high speed services, and equipment in support of network and customer requirements. Diagnoses, troubleshoots and repairs customer and network troubles.
- Other job duties will vary as the individual in this role will help define North American Data Center Operating Policies, Procedures, and future development
- Responsible for asset management: process deliveries and replenishes consumables. Coordinates shipping and receiving of materials. Operates and maintains tools, test sets, and electronic equipment including, but not limited to: Fiber optic transmissions equipment, lightwave multiplexing equipment, digital multiplexers, circuit termination equipment, AC and DC power equipment, OTDR, various BER type test equipment, and whatever specialized needs future customers require.
- Monitors third party delivery of power (primary and backup), cooling, and security services.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Education Level: High School/GED
- Field Of Study: Engineering, Technical Field, or Management
- A combination of education and experience is acceptable: Yes
- Attention to detail with good organizational capabilities.
- Ability to prioritize with good time management skills.
-- Experience and knowledge in a variety of major technician disciplines, which include Transmission (DS1/DS3/SONET), Switching (circuit-switching/SS7), TCP/IP (routers/higher-layer protocols), Outside Plant exposure, and basic OSP knowledge.
-- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
-- Maintain site security and cleanliness.
-- Must have PC skills and be well versed in Microsoft Windows and Office applications.
-- Individual will possess some public speaking, presentations skills, and be comfortable in high profile interactions with internal and external customer organizations, including executive level (anticipated tours),
-- Possess the ability to quickly learn corporate databases. On-call 24x7, stand-by, call out, dispatch, and overtime are required as dictated by the business. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: 2+ years:
Need to have functional knowledge of Inside Plant (ISP) disciplines, fiber optic, electrical and other related telecom practices conforming to the industry standards.
-- Technical and mechanical background with experience on the latest generation transport gear, critical infrastructure (HVAC systems, high-voltage electrical systems, DC Power Plants, etc...) found in Telecommunications facilities, as well as a basic knowledge of As-Builts, building management systems, one-line drawings, and BCP/emergency management plans.
EDUCATION: Trade school certification or 4 year degree in Engineering, Technical Field or Management preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be occasionally required to stand; walk; to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls. The employee may be occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. The employee-owner may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Climb ladders, enter crawl spaces, exertion of force, manipulation of hand and/or foot controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and the ability to adjust focus. In addition, the position may require frequent movement and activity relating to using keyboards, viewing data on computer displays, and communicating verbally and in writing to the needs of others. Required to possess a valid driver's license. Working Conditions: Work is occasionally performed in building settings. Outdoor work is required in the inspection of buried cable, construction sites, field facilities. Performance of the position requires working safely and may require working outdoors in all weather conditions, all noise levels, hazardous conditions, and on the full range of outdoor work surfaces. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Government Security Required: No
Level 3 Communications, Inc. (Level 3) is engaged in the communications business. The Company is a facilities based provider of a range of...