Via Christi Health's rich history of serving the people of Kansas and the surrounding region dates back more than 100 years to the healing ministries of our founding congregations. Today, Via Christi Health is the largest provider of health care services in Kansas. We serve Kansas and northeast Oklahoma through our doctors, hospitals, senior villages and health services.
This positionassists in performing delegated patient care activities; including activities of daily living and basic nursing care procedures, as well as identified competencies required in the assigned patient care unit. All activities are performed under the direction of an RN following medical center patient care standards. Functions as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
The Behavioral Health Technician position requires experience in one of the designated skill set areas. The Behavioral Health Technician 2 position requires experience in two of the designated skill set areas. The Behavioral Health Technician 3 position requires experience in three of the designated skill set areas.
- Assists patients with activities of daily living as patient needs require.
- Provides basic care in a timely manner respectful of the age and cultural needs of the patient.
- Performs assignments skillfully with respect for Human Dignity.
- Demonstrates concern for the overall comfort of the patient.
- Uses standardized infection control techniques in all patient care activities.
- Explains all care procedures to the patient/family prior to performing the care.
- Accurately documents information regarding patient care and/or response to care.
- Immediately communicates patient's needs, condition changes, observations and responses to the RN.
- Maintains identified skill/competencies.
- Demonstrates stewardship in the use of resources: equipment, supplies and time.
- Demonstrates commitment to ensuring patient/family satisfaction.
- Actively participates as a member of the patient care team.
- Communicates therapeutically with patient and families.
- May perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Must perform at least two of the following to count as one additional skill set:
- Patient Care Assistant/Certified Nurse Assistant specific duties include: Prepares equipment and aids nursing staff during treatment and examination of patient. Keeps RN informed of pertinent patient data and findings. Takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure, respiration rates, and food and fluid intake and output as directed. Meets patients’ needs in all aspects of activities of daily living.Completes patient care rounds and provides one on one observation as assigned. Accompanies patients to groups and activities on and off the unit. Consistently maintains therapeutic dialog with individual and groups of patients.
- Health Unit Coordination specific duties include : Takes off physician orders.Performs receptionist duties, maintains inventory of designated supplies and utilizes computer extensively. Responsible for initiating and maintaining unit and medical records. Responds promptly to all individuals seeking information. Keeps nurse in charge updated regarding unit activity, problems or complaints. Performs clerical duties to assist the health team in providing quality patient care. Coordinates activities to maintain an organized and efficient department.
- Activity Director specific duties include : At the direction of the charge RN, offers various supportive patient group activities based on the needs of the patients. Develops and organizes individual and group activities that meet the social, emotional, intellectual and spiritual needs of patients. Communicates planned programming to patients and staff and encourages participation. Documents patient participation in groups and activities according to regulatory guidelines. As directed, orders and maintains needed supplies for various activities. Gives input into the multidisciplinary treatment plan process.
- Phlebotomy specific duties include : Collects specimens using appropriate methods and equipment and prepares them for lab processing or courier pick up. Uses infection control techniques in all phlebotomy/processing procedures, including knowledge of sterile technique to protect both the patient and themselves. Explains all phlebotomy procedures to the patient/family prior to performing procedure. Accurately and consistently verifies and records identity of patient and/or donor, and accurately labels all specimens correctly and legibly according to departmental policy.
- Transporting Patient specific duties include : Accompanies patients between facilities, ensuring safety and support of patient. Consistently communicates therapeutically with patients and various care providers.
- Completes EKGs: After completing required training, completes EKGs on assigned patients according to established policies and procedures. Ensures EKGs are appropriately transmitted for reading in a timely manner.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Prefer experience with behavioral health or geriatric patients in some capacity.
- A personal presence which is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity and caring to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals and values of Via Christi Health.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Working knowledge of computer systems in order to complete data entry required.
- Basic working email knowledge.
- Ability to navigate the Internet and Via Christi intranet.
- Ability to use multiple forms of communication devices such as telephones, paging systems, portable data devices.
- Require Kansas C.N.A. certification for Sr BHS Unit only.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers offered by the American Heart Association or CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer offered by the Red Cross within 30 days post date of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodationsmay be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Via Christi Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Frequently required to push and pull items, such as patient beds, requiring an initial force of up to 75 pounds and a sustained force of up to 40 pounds.
- Frequently required to carry or lift items weighing up to 50 pounds at waist height for distances up to 100 feet.
- Frequently required to lift up to 30 pounds to shoulder height.
- Frequently required to assist in maneuvering patients weighing 100-400 pounds and occasionally required to assist in maneuvering patients weighing over 400 pounds.
- Tolerate standing and walking for up to 6 hours at a time on hard and soft surfaces.
- Frequently perform activities that require stooping, bending and reaching, squatting, balancing, and trunk twisting throughout the day.
- Constantly able to effectively communicate verbally and in written form.
- Occasionally required to sit in a stationary position for up to 30 minutes at one time.
- Frequently able to detect and discern both loud and soft sounds such as patient calls, verbal orders, monitors, and phone calls.
- Frequently able to use hands and fingers to perform simple and fine motor handling tasks, injections, handling medical equipment, taking vital signs, writing, and using a keyboard.
- Frequently able to use different types of visual perceptions to perform activities such as moving medical equipment, evaluating patients, reading medical records, and reading computer screens.
- Occasionally required to detect unusual odors that could indicate infection or other problems with a patient, or environmental issues such as smoke.
Via Christi Health System - 20 months ago