Luminant, a subsidiary of Energy Future Holdings , formerly TXU Corp., is the largest competitive power generation business in Texas. Its operations also include mining, wholesale marketing and trading, and development. Luminant has more than 15,400 megawatts of generation, including 2,300 MW fueled by nuclear power and 8,000 MW fueled by coal. The company is one of the largest purchasers of wind-generated electricity in Texas and the nation. Luminant has mined and restored over 60,000 acres and planted over 25 million trees in a land-reclamation program that has been recognized with over 120 awards for environmental conservation. At Luminant, we are committed to improving our environment by serving our customers and communities through more efficient- and cleaner sources of energy. We are also committed to our values of honesty and integrity, mutual respect, innovation, competitive spirit and diversity.
As directed, acquire and maintain air quality permits for Luminant Power generating plants and Luminant Mining facilities in compliance with state and federal laws and regulations, and in support of Luminant project schedules, budgets and operating strategies.
Grade level for this position will be determined by education and experience.
Key Roles & Responsibilities Perform the following duties as part of the Luminant Air Permitting group. Other duties may be assigned. Directly or through others, the incumbent will:
- Evaluate air quality permitting requirements for prospective Luminant Power generating plants and Luminant Mining facilities, or changes to existing facilities, and determine a permitting strategy for any required air permits or approvals.
- Acquire, maintain, amend, revise and renew all required state and federal air quality permits and approvals for Luminant facilities on a timely basis and in support of Luminant project schedules and budgets, as necessary to support flexible, cost-effective and efficient operation Luminant facilities.
- Assure that acquired air permits and approvals are promptly distributed to Luminant operations and air compliance personnel, along with appropriate guidance. Work directly with the Luminant Environmental Services Air Compliance and Data Management groups to assure compliance with the terms of all air permit and the requirements of air quality regulations applicable to Luminant operations. Assist in the implementation of compliant environmental recordkeeping and reporting information systems, including data collection processes from the plants, mines, test teams and other internal/external data streams.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and other state and federal environmental agencies in support of air permitting activities and ongoing initiatives of the Air Compliance group.
- Establish and maintain a strong working knowledge of all air regulatory requirements and related agency policies applicable to each Luminant facility for use in acquiring and maintaining Luminant federal operating permits, and for air compliance assistance.
- Review and summarize existing and proposed laws and regulations and determine applicability to, or the prospective effect upon, Luminant operations. Identify emerging issues and support development of comments to regulatory agencies on proposed regulations. Participate in the development of proactive long-term compliance strategies for new regulations, which preserve and enhance operational flexibility for Luminant Power and Luminant Mining operations.
- Act as an ES contact in coalitions, industry meetings/associations, and professional environmental organizations (e.g., , Utility Air Regulatory Group, Association of Electric Companies of Texas, Air & Waste Management Association, Electric Power Research Institute) in support of Luminant Power and Luminant Mining.
- Coordinate with and oversee the work of consultants/vendors working on Luminant air permitting projects.
- Assist with the development of the Luminant annual operating budget.
- Focus upon personal and workplace safety through the implementation of safe work practices.
Education, Experience, & Skill Requirements
- Bachelor of Science degree in life sciences, chemistry, physical sciences, engineering or equivalent and/or 6 years of equivalent experience in a corporate, agency or consulting position.
- Knowledge of Texas and Federal air quality laws, regulations and policies, including the Federal Clean Air Act, Texas Clean Air Act, state and federal construction air permitting regulations, Federal Operating Permit regulations, NAAQS, NSPS and MACT Standards.
- Strong analytical skills for evaluating the details of planned/prospective projects in relation to all air regulatory requirements.
- A strong working knowledge of air emission calculations.
- A working knowledge of air pollution control techniques and equipment.
- An understanding of air pollution dispersion principles and the use of dispersion modeling in air permitting.
- Strong technical writing abilities for effective communication with industry peers and regulators.
- Self-motivated and able to make and keep commitments and deadlines.
- The ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, productively using resources, anticipating problems and making adjustments, as necessary.
- The ability to perform well under pressure and when working under strict time constraints.
- Ability to use sound, fair and ethical judgment and to make decisions in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to effectively communicate to peers and Luminant Senior Leadership. Communication may include written and oral technical presentations and periodic updates to Luminant Senior Leadership, local state and federal regulatory agencies.
Measures of Success
- Timely and cost-effective acquisition of air permits and approvals that support Luminant business objectives and facilitate operating compliance.
- Effective teaming with peers, Luminant management, industry groups and regulatory agencies.
- Continued generation of significant cost savings and/or cost avoidances.
It is the policy of Energy Future Holdings, Luminant, and TXU Energy to comply with all employment laws and to afford equal employment opportunity to individuals in all aspects of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, military service, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected under the law.
Energy Future Holdings - 2 years ago
Energy Future Holdings Corp. is a Dallas-based, privately held energy company with a portfolio of competitive and regulated energy...