Req #: 21907
Category: Information Technology
Location(s): US-TX-San Antonio
Shift: First Shift
Rackspace® (NYSE: RAX) is the global leader in hybrid cloud and founder of OpenStack®, the open-source operating system for the cloud. Hundreds of thousands of customers look to Rackspace to deliver the best-fit infrastructure for their IT needs, leveraging a product portfolio that allows workloads to run where they perform best—whether on the public cloud, private cloud, dedicated servers, or a combination of platforms. The company's award-winning Fanatical Support® helps customers successfully architect, deploy, and run their most critical applications. Headquartered in San Antonio, TX, Rackspace operates data centers on four continents. Rackspace is featured on Fortune's list of 100 Best Companies to Work For.
Overview & Responsibilities
Behind the scenes of every fanatical customer experience is YOU, the Linux Operations Engineer. You build our infrastructure, keep our products seamless through expertise in continuous deployments and releases at scale people rarely dream of and maintain our applications resulting in 100% uptime for our customers.
As a Rackspace Engineer you are a Linux junkie who thrives in dynamic environment and doesn’t feel satisfied unless you are challenged with new problems on a daily basis. You are dedicated to technology beyond Rackspace, you want to play a part in changing the world!
You want a few things in your job:
- The ability to be yourself and be accepted because of it
- Co-workers who teach you and push you to give your best
- A culture of learning and growth
- The freedom to automate anything and everything you want; efficiency is key
- The ability to share: Open Source FTW!
In this role you will:
- Work with cutting edge technology in the cloud computing space
- Provide Fanatical Support to our customers through your innovative solutions that create sustainable and maintainable environments
- Install, configure, update and troubleshoot services such as Apache, MySQL/NoSQL, Puppet/Chef, Scale and many others
- Make architectural design decisions, solve technical problems, and make improvements to our systems
- Collaborate in a “DevOps” environment where you will work closely with software developers, QA and more (no silos allowed)
- Perform periodic on-call duties as part of a global team
- Be an influencer of an OpenStack incubated project
Nice to Have’s:
- Fundamental knowledge of servers/computers hardware and software
- Excellent problem solving skills with a desire to take on responsibility
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate technical issues to nontechnical and technical audiences
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience, including with Linux systems requiring the use of languages like Python, C, C++, Java, Perl, Shell or PHP
Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent work experience
- Technical certifications (i.e., Red Hat, UCP, CompTIA, MySQL)
- Virtualization and strong networking knowledge
- Experience working in the cloud computing industry
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: Rackspace is committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employee assigned to this job.
Already a Racker? Head to our Racker Portal to log in with SSO.
Apply for this job
Refer a friend to this job
Not ready to apply? Connect with us.
Socialize this job opportunity to a friend, colleague, or family member:
Go back to the welcome page
Need further assistance?