This position is responsible for system administration and maintenance of Macalester’s Unix/Linux servers and disk storage solutions. This includes system monitoring, tuning, space monitoring, system security/patch update analysis and backups. These systems are critical to the operation of the College’s business and must be highly available and reliable. Required to support unscheduled or urgent events outside business hours.
• At least two years of solid experience administering Unix/Linux servers in a production environment, including system patching and upgrades. CentOS and RedHat operating systems is preferred
• Strong knowledge of LDAP integration and NFS
• Experience with common scripting languages (Bash, Perl, Python).
• Associate's degree in Computer Science or similar fields. Bachelor's degree preferred.
• Networking and load balancing technologies (e.g., Cisco IOS, F5 BIG-IP).
• Virtualization Technologies (e.g., VMware, Citrix XenServer).
• Proficient in the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack.
• Strong knowledge of Moodle core features installation and configurations.
• SAN storage solution (e.g., Compellent).
• Install, configure, monitor and maintain Unix systems. Plan and install, or supervise vendor installation of hardware upgrades.
• Ensure data integrity and system security by evaluating; implementing and managing appropriate software or hardware solutions.
• Work closely with DBA to ensure data recoverability by maintaining and implementing a plan for system backups and database archive operations.
• Tune the systems to achieve optimum performance.
• Document and log all system changes.
• Perform proactive capacity planning while communicating trends and/or exception to manager.
• Manage general system activities such as maintaining accounts, printers, print queues, and disk space allocation.
• Monitor system’s logs.
• Provide technical leadership, guidance and training.
• Remain current with developments in relevant professional areas through reading, research, and participation in conferences, workshops and meetings.
• Ability to work occasional weekend or evening hours as may be required for system troubleshooting, scheduled and unscheduled maintenance and upgrades.
• Must be able to work independently or as part of a team, respect confidentiality and maintain courtesy with customer.
• Respond to and/or complete escalated helpdesk trouble tickets within the appropriate timeframe.
The position will remain opened but only applicants received by 2/2
5/13 will be assured consideration. Applicants must be authorized to work in the US upon employment start date.
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester College - 13 months ago