The Orvis Retail Store Manager is the business and cultural leader of the store team, responsible for achieving sales goals, customer satisfaction, and profitability growth as well as understanding, practicing, and being a strong proponent of the Orvis brand and the company culture. The Store Manager is a retail professional role model in attitude and appearance skilled in the art of communication and customer service, who has the ability to teach these skills to the team and ultimately lead by example.
Each of our retail stores is unique, and the successful Store Manager must be able to understand and tailor the Orvis brand presentation to the space and floor plan of the individual store using demonstrated talent in visual presentation of merchandise.
About the Company
In 1856, Charles Orvis founded the Orvis Company in Manchester, Vermont, offering the finest fly fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, along with our world famous fly-fishing gear, Orvis offers distinctive clothing, home furnishings, gifts, and dog products. Each item is rooted in our heritage of authenticity and the outdoors, and is backed with a no-questions-asked guarantee. As the longest-running mail order business in the United States, and with our flagship retail store located in the same Vermont village as the original store since 1856, we offer experience and knowledge that no other retail company can. Each day we strive to apply what we know and learn to bring our customers even better service and products tomorrow.
Orvis Company associates take pride in our world-class service and products, treating customers, vendor partners, and each other with integrity and mutual respect. We work in a supportive, team-oriented environment, focusing on performance, continuous improvement, and exceeding our customers' expectations. The Orvis Company and our associates are committed to giving back to our communities and protecting nature.
We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental coverage, a generous merchandise discount, and an employer-matched 401(K) savings plan. Orvis is an equal-opportunity employer.
This position reports to a District Manager. Position will interface on a daily basis with store associates and regularly with the District Manager, the Director of Retail Sales and Operations, Human Resources, Retail Merchants and Planners, Retail Marketing, Accounting, and Orvis Service Center associates.
Performance will be evaluated on the position responsibilities and on the financial measurements of the retail store based on established standards and goals.
- Subscribe to the highest customer service standards, and provide a personal example for the team of a true retail professional at all times;
- Understand Orvis policy and procedures, adhere to them, and ensure compliance by the team;
- Be an ambassador of the brand and instill the Orvis Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Culture in the entire team;
- Communicate the Orvis brand and its lifestyle through creative and effective presentations, maintain visual standards, emphasize key product/corporate directed messages, and maximize sell-thru by product placement and signage;
- Ensure financial goals are achieved;
- Recruit, interview, hire, develop, coach, and train store associates to deliver sales and customer service objectives.
- Minimum of three years store management experience;
- Proven track record of building and leading effective teams from recruiting through retention;
- Excellent retail business acumen including selling skills, visual presentation, and sales analysis;
- Strong background in payroll planning and scheduling;
- Flexibility in personal time commitments to do what is necessary based on the needs of the business and the development of themselves and the team through continued Orvis training and cultural education;
- Up-to-date computer skills with the aptitude to learn and utilize business programs and the ability to teach these programs to the team;
- Physical strength to reach, move, and handle merchandise in high and low areas, and the stamina to execute floor sets;
- Ability to receive and process large shipments of merchandise daily as well as implement and oversee the efficient organization of inventory flow.
- Specialty retail experience;
- College degree.
Since 1856, Orvis has stood for outdoor adventure, quality, and customer satisfaction. Today, along with our world famous fly-fishing gear,...