Skills: Associate’s Degree/Diploma in Nursing. Current New Mexico Registered Nurse License required. Less than one year experience as Registered Nurse.
Knowledge: Requires detailed knowledge of nursing practice and care delivery in terms of what and how work is to be done as well as why it is done, this level includes interpretation of data. This staff member must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span of patients served.
Abilities: Mental Power: Ability to make decisions are varied but are usually confined to situations which are familiar. There are several defined alternative solutions available.
Mental Power: Ability to exercise choice in how work is accomplished with independence to operate within established policies, procedures and schedules.
Physical Power: Walks/on feet 6 hours. Sit 2 hours. Stand/reach/forward bend. Push/pull carts and wheelchairs frequently. Assumes and maintains various postural positions from ground level to overhead. Hand/wrist/finger movement. Transfer patients from bed to wheelchair/commode/stretcher with assistance. Reposition patients in bed and wheelchairs.
Primary Job Functions
• Provides direct patient care by assessing, planning, implementing, evaluating, and documenting individual patient needs, actions taken and patient responses.
• Coordinates patient’s care through collaboration with the patient/family and Healthcare team.
• Administers medications and treatments as prescribed by physician, clinical path or standard protocols.
• Delegates or assigns aspects of patient care to Healthcare team members commensurate with their validated competency to perform the task.
• Assists physicians with various procedures, treatments, surgical techniques or delegates/assigns to other Healthcare team members as appropriate.
• Assist in orientation of new staff or students, and serve as a resource person and professional role model.
• Participates in performance improvement by being professionally responsible for current nursing research, current nursing standards, hospital philosophy, and hospital programs in order to maintain quality.
• Provides teaching/education according to assessed needs for patients, families, staff and care givers and ensures patient’s rights are protected.
• Supervises LPNs and non-licensed assisting personnel.
• Assume other leadership roles as required by the department.
• Performs other functions as required.