Multiple part-time temporary positions are available. Work will not to exceed 1040 hours in a 12 month period. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. |
Temporary keepers work under the direction of Living Collections staff to assist with the day-to-day care of the animals at the Oregon Zoo.
Essential Job Duties:
An employee in this position must be able to perform all of the essential job duties listed below with or without reasonable accommodation; however, this list is not intended to include all of the specific tasks which an employee in this position may be expected to perform.A temporary employee will generally not perform the full scope of duties as listed in the job classification.
- As directed, provides day-to-day care for animals at the Oregon Zoo.
- Performs upkeep, cleaning and disinfecting functions for areas such as barns, cages, yards, pools, food trays and water troughs. Also maintains lab, office and other areas.
- Performs animal feeding duties such as preparing prescribed diets; setting out and offering food in a manner which is most likely to result in total consumption. Makes precise reports on food consumption.
- Observes animals throughout assigned shift to identify normal and abnormal behavior. Reports observations and problems to keepers and/or veterinary staff.
- As directed, keeps records on daily health, behavior and diet, food inventory and supply, breeding and mating activity.
- Checks conditions of animal environments to assess security and safety for animals, employees, and visitors. Reports any problems.
- Under supervision, administers medications as prescribed by Veterinarian; observes animals to determine the medications taken. Performs general husbandry tasks which can include duties such as trimming nails, exercising animals, worming, assisting with breeding programs or other daily routines.
- Maintains safe work habits and contributes to the safety of self and co-workers. Follows safety protocols to maintain animal health and security, and public protection.
- May assist with the capture, restraint or segregation of animals for shipment, medical treatment, research or transfer to another area.
- Acts as a resource to public. Provides customer service to zoo guests, answers questions about the zoo and the animals, and may assist with tours.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
In order to be considered for this position, you must:
Preferred requirements include:
- be 18 years of age or older
- be available for at least three days per week for at least 40 weeks per year. At least one of the available days must be a Saturday or Sunday.
- have a negative TB test or x-ray on a yearly basis
- have and maintain a valid driver’s license
- have the ability to physically perform the duties of the position, including the ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods, often under inclement weather conditions
- sign and abide by posted work rules
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Bachelors degree in zoology, biology or related subjects relevant to the care of zoo animals
- Previous experience in the husbandry of domestic and exotic animals
- Possession of any licenses or certifications related to the position
- Knowledge of general animal care practices and methods.
- Knowledge of occupational and other safety required in the area of work assignment.
- Skill to make thorough observations and document and report observations.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and associated software, radios and cell phones.
- Ability to work in a safe manner and to react quickly to hazardous conditions.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to zoo guests and enhance zoo visitor education.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to maintain effective working relations with colleagues and supervisors.
- Ability to learn prescribed routines quickly and to work without close supervision.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform essential duties which may include lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to fulfill Metro’s employee values of public service, excellence, teamwork, respect, innovation and sustainability.
Working conditions: Duties may require prolonged strenuous efforts in hazardous locations, contaminated areas, enclosed spaces, at heights, under inclement weather, and in proximity to dangerous animals and other adverse conditions. May need to lift up to 50 pounds.
Online applications: Metro now accepts job applications online. If you need assistance or accommodation with your application, or access to a computer, call 503-797-1570.
Accommodation: Reasonable accommodation is available to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing this application or participating in this process. To obtain confidential assistance please contact Human Resources (503) 797-1570.
Representation: This position is represented by LIUNA Local 483.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans’ preference when applying for Metro positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans’ preference for this job, please provide qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
Criminal background check: In order to protect the well being of its employees, the public and agency assets, Metro will conduct criminal background checks on all internal and external final applicants selected for Metro positions, including volunteers and interns. Employment at Metro is contingent on the successful completion of a criminal background check. By signing this application for employment, you are consenting to a background check, which includes a criminal history and a driving records check. A background check will only be conducted if you are selected as a finalist for a position. If selected as a finalist, you will be contacted by Human Resources and provided a copy of the Fair Credit Reporting Act prior to initiation of a background check.
Equal employment opportunity: All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, familial status, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability for which a reasonable accommodation can be made or any other status protected by law. Assistance will be gladly provided upon request for any applicant with sensory or non-sensory disabilities.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Metro - 12 months ago
Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) is unique among the nation's transportation agencies. It serves as...