Grade 07 $12.51 - $16.27/hr (midpoint)
Cheyenne Regional Physicians Group
Cheyenne Childrens Clinic
High School graduate or equivalent required
The medical assistant is responsible for assisting with patient care and handling clerical and environmental tasks as appropriate. Provides information to patients so they may fully utilize and benefit from the clinical services.
1. Greets, screens, schedules, and directs patients to exam rooms.
2. Obtains, verifies, and updates patient information and provides support services to patients and medical staff.
3. Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned that may include assisting patients as needed with walking transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc.; collecting patient history; performing screenings per provider guidelines; assisting physicians/nurses with various procedures; charting; relaying instructions to patients/families; answering calls, and providing pertinent information.
4. Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned that may include sending/receiving patient medical records; obtaining lab/X-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc.; completing forms/requisitions as needed; scheduling appointments; verifying insurance coverage and patient demographics; managing and updating charts to ensure that information is complete and filed appropriately.
5. Fulfills environmental responsibilities as assigned that may include setting up instruments and equipment according to department protocols; cleaning exam/procedure rooms, instruments, and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control; cleaning sterilizer according to scheduled maintenance program and keeping appropriate records; ordering, sorting, storing supplies; and restocking exam/procedure rooms.
6. Fulfills clinical medical assisting responsibilities which may include medical/surgical asepsis, sterilization, instrument wrapping and autoclaving; checking vital signs or mensurations; physical examination preparations; clinical pharmacology; drug administration through various routes including injections; prescription verifications with physician’s orders; minor surgery assists including surgical tray set-up pre/post surgical care, applying dressings, and suture removal; biohazard waste disposal and monitoring; therapeutic modalities; instructing patients with assistive devices, body mechanics, and home care; laboratory procedures including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines; quality control methods; CLIA-waived testing; capillary punctures and venipunctures; specimen handling such as urine, throat, vaginal, stool, and sputum; electrocardiography including mounting, emergency triage, and first aid.
PRACTICE SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
CHEYENNE CHILDREN’S CLINIC: Assists Radiology Technician with x-ray procedures, visiting specialty clinics, and scheduling and authorizing outside tests, radiologic procedures, and physician consultations. Performs monthly calibration and quarterly maintenance of CBC equipment. Runs outside errands for clinic business as needed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified and employees may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficient with MS Office, Outlook and Internet Explorer
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrates an independent work initiative, sound judgment and attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledge of health care field and medical office protocols/procedures
- Knowledge of specific assisting tasks related to particular medical practice
- Skill in performing medical assistance tasks appropriately
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- High school diploma or GED
- BLS within 30 days of hire
- 1 of the following 3 is required if hired after August 1, 2012 :
- 1. Completion of a Medical Assistant program from an accredited institution or program recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES); or
- 2. Completion of a formal medical training program (i.e. CNA, EMT, or LPN); or
- 3. Minimum of 1 year experience in a medical setting
- Registered or Licensed Medical Assistant
- Recent experience as a Medical Assistant
- Medical Terminology
Cheyenne Regional Medical Center - 20 months ago