**ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY**
The information between the asterisks contains specific information about this position while the information after the asterisks contains general information about jobs in this job family at Nationwide.
These positions will sit in Des Moines, IA or Columbus, OH and report to a one of the Commercial Lines Product Managers or Directors. The positions will work with one of the commercial lines products (i.e. BOP, Business Auto), and previous experience working with a CL line of business is highly desired. The ideal candidate will have the following:
*Bachelor's degree and CPCU or similar designation preferred
*Proven knowledge of property/casualty products, insurance company operations and field and/or staff functions
*Indepth knowledge of commercial operations and product lines
*5 years' experience with product, claims or underwriting
*Demonstrated decision making and analytic skills
*Ability to communicate with field leadership, staff management and other departments
*Ability to lead and drive projects with cross functional business partners
Note: This position can be filled at a different level depending on experience.
JOB SUMMARY: Conducts research and provides input towards the development, revision and interpretation of underwriting policies, standards and practices. Participates in the development and enhancement of products with emphasis on growth and profitability. Helps coordinate efforts between home office and field operations. Assists with the implementation of strategies that support multiple product related profitability objectives.
LOCATION: Property Casualty Standard/Staff
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Staff Officer/Director
1. Serves as product/underwriting staff specialist for assigned product(s) and operational area (state, region, access point, distribution channel, etc.)
2. Provides assistance to line operations in the interpretations of coverage, rules and acceptance standards in accordance with company policy or criteria established by rating bureaus, insurance departments or legislative activity. Assesses specific insurance coverage and underwriting problems. Participates in the development or refinement of risk standards. Communicates technical information on products and systems.
3. Conducts underwriting performance reviews of line operations, recommends remedial action, and assists with the implemention of such actions.
4. Seeks and analyzes market information relative to market potential, products, loss expense and profitability of market segments. Identifies opportunities to improve product performance and recommends action plan to staff management.
5. Develops and analyzes market information relative to market potential, products, loss expense, and profitability of market segments. Identifies opportunities to improve product performance and recommends action plans to staff management.
6. May actively participate in various states filing activities.
7. Participates on task teams and functional audits.
8. Accountable for writing systems requirements for new initiatives and negotiating special requests for IT updates with systems leadership. Project manages all rate review implementations at state-level across pricing, systems, and regional offices.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education/Knowledge: Bachelor?s degree preferred. Relevant professional designation such as CPCU highly desirable. Requires proven knowledge of property/casualty products, insurance company operations, and field and/or staff functions. . In-depth knowledge of assigned product line (standard auto, nonstandard auto, homeowners, commercial, etc.) required.
Experience: Typically six years product related underwriting experience in field/line operations.
Skills: Demonstrated decision-making and analysis skills. Ability to communicate with field leadership, staff management and other departments. Ability to lead project team members in all aspects of product/underwriting activities.
Staffing Excerption to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by Product/Staff Executive and Human Resources Management.
Overtime Eligibility: Not eligible (exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Occasional field travel may be required
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to the principal and essential functions of the job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
Nationwide is a high-performing organization, and we continue to prove it every day. Our Property and Casualty Division sells a unique mix...